Sucked in air whilst racking!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mackenziemicro

Reaction score
I have one of those extendable racking canes... I always rack to secondary before cold crashing... Due to a lack of equipment and so I can fit it in the fridge I use the water containers that I buy my water in for brewing... Anyway long and short of it I split 5 gallons into two 3 gallon water bottles the first one was fine but the second one for some reason started to pull in air from the seal of the adjustable racking cane.... Here's the question... I marked up the problem one... Should I bottle them separately or blend them together in my bottling bucket like normal? Opinions greatly appreciated?

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403603535.997458.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hard to guess how much oxygen was introduced into the beer? You could keep them separate and evaluate, or just not worry about it. I doubt much if any damage is done, unless you plan to cellar this for a long time...but i must admit I'm a RDWHAHB type. Keeping the beer cold once carbed will greatly slow the effects of any oxygen that was introduced.

Are you using oxy absorbing bottle caps? I ask because that was all that was available last time I purchased at my LHBS.

While you did a lovely job making blowoff tubes for the 3 gallon water jugs, you could have likely just capped them and put them in the fridge as fermentation is over therefore no real need to vent.

If you remove the upper shelf in the fridge, would the fermenter fit in for cold crashing? Less you handle / rack the beer the better in my simple opinion, since asked....cheers!

On my 3rd batch, I ran into a problem with my auto siphon and got a fair amount of air in my batch... I drank it while it wad pretty young and didn't notice any problems. I kept one bottle in my fridge for about 1.5 months though, to see if/how the oxygen would effect it. Lets just say it was horrible, it really does taste like wet cardboard.

Tldr; might be a good idea to keep them separate and drink the one that got some air in it first. Should be fine otherwise.

Thanks for the responses, I did keep them separate and will drink the suspect one quick but like mentioned above Ill keep one just to see..... I have used the Oxy abs caps before but they are quite expensive and Im not sure its worth the extra...

Back