Successful Peanut Butter Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wanted to share, last week I added to a partygyle of a RIS, 8oz cocoa nibs, 1 vanilla bean, 1 dram of Lor Ann's Peanut Butter flavoring, and 1 box of peanut butter cap'n crunch cereal. Only concerns I have after the fact is if the cereal absorbs a lot of beer and how the cereal floats and if the exposure to O2 of the floating cereal could get contaminated. I will let it sit for two weeks, take a taste test, and then sit another week if needed.

wow, 8 oz of cocoa nibs? I think the chocolate flavor will be very strong. You will probably have to let this sit for some time before it gets good. I did the midwest extract kit...chocolate covered beavr nutz. It comes with 4 oz of cocoa nibs. I had the cocoa nibs in the secondary for 4 weeks with the cocoa nibs being in there for 3 weeks. Chocolate flavor is pretty strong. Not overpowering, but really there. Make sure that you push down the cereal a couple of times. I am interested in how yours comes out. Mine didn't have a whole lot of peanut butter flavor. I was expecting more, but it is faintly there. I used about 1 2/3 jars of PB2. I couldn't fit in both of them in my secondary.

I haven't opened the keg, but can tell the cereal is floating. Don't want to invite contamination. But I swirl the keg regularly. I enjoy a strong chocolate flavor, but I don't think 8oz for a couple weeks will be too strong. We'll find out in another eek!

I am interested to know what you think. I know the chocolate flavor with 4 oz of cocoa nibs in my 8% beer was quite strong...not overpowering though.

Drinking it now. Having played with the cereal in a coffee press with a plain stout last week, I knew what to expect with the flavor. I think that is most dominate. The Lor Anne's PB flavoring is tough to distinguish since I never tasted it before. Even though I used 8oz of nibs that some thought would be too much, I think they are lost in the other flavors. However, I like a strong chocolate flavor when I use them and am accustomed to them soaking longer than 2 weeks. Next time, I'm tempted to leave out the nibs and use a box of the Reese's Cup cereal. I great experiment would be to split a 6 gal batch into 2x3 gallon carboys and vary the additions to see the difference.

I am a big fan of the Lorann oils. I have used the watermelon flavor a few times in lighter ales. I didn't know they had peanut butter... so now I am thinking about a sweet stout with a dram of peanut butter, a dram of chocolate, and a dram of prailine and cream OR vanilla butternut. I had a wonderful sweet, Chocolate PB stout over in Lancaster the other day and am eager to see if I can't get something similar at home. Thanks for posting about this flavor!

Yes, the Chocolate peanut butter stout at the Tap Room in Lancaster is what inspired me to make this recipe

Big fan of Loran's watermelon, FROM YOU! I've used peanut butter and wasn't thrilled. Love to hear your results.

And no. Not with the watermelon.

Drinking it now. Having played with the cereal in a coffee press with a plain stout last week, I knew what to expect with the flavor. I think that is most dominate. The Lor Anne's PB flavoring is tough to distinguish since I never tasted it before. Even though I used 8oz of nibs that some thought would be too much, I think they are lost in the other flavors. However, I like a strong chocolate flavor when I use them and am accustomed to them soaking longer than 2 weeks. Next time, I'm tempted to leave out the nibs and use a box of the Reese's Cup cereal. I great experiment would be to split a 6 gal batch into 2x3 gallon carboys and vary the additions to see the difference.

When I make my choc stout I use 4oz nibs but I soak them in bourbon for about 2 months and add it all to the keg. Huuuuge chocolate flavor. The trick is definitely making sure to let the nibs sit in the bourbon long enough. IMO from my experimenting anything less than 6 weeks isn't long enough, your not getting all the flavor from the nibs.
Its obviously not a PB flavor but if you do the same type of tincture with hazelnuts and add it the flavor is incredible. Hazelnut tincture is really strong stuff though and isn't hard to overdue it.

That sounds like an awesome idea, a hazelnut milk stout might be a winner. When you say they give off a strong flavor, would you recommend like 2oz hazelnuts in enough liqueur to cover them, for two months?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Not sure how much 2oz would be but that sounds like its probably close. Throw a handful in enough spirits to cover and let sit for 6-8 weeks then add to taste with measuring spoons at kegging/bottling.

Can you elaborate on why you didnt like the lorann flavor in your beer? What was it exactly?

Oh man. That beer has long since kicked, but I'll try my best. After using the cereal by itself in the coffee press, I knew the flavor component that came solely from the cereal. That is what dominated when combined with Loran's. I agree, my comment above suggests I didn't like the flavor, but what I recall is the flavor was lost in the cereal.

My next attempt will include this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003AC5U7I/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

...which I have read others who loved the results, along with nibs roasted at 170* for 15 min. I've read roasting really helps bring out the flavor which I haven't done before.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can now report that it is unwise to add a dram of lorann cherry flavoring to a 1.75L bottle of inexpensive vodka. It now tastes very much like cherry nyquil which isn't something I was hoping for. Blech.

Are most of you guys just racking on the pb2 or did you boil it or sanitize it somehow? I really want to do a peanut butter brown but don't wanna have it infected

I tried adding PB2 to the keg as I have the stainless keg dry hopper mentioned earlier in this thread. It sucked so bad I dumped the keg and the base beer was a recipe that landed a 38 in the recent Best FL Beer Championships. Adding PB2 to the FV might yield better results I dont know. But I do know I'll never add that stuff to a keg again and wouldn't recommend anyone to.

Ah dude... I added ít directly to the keg as well and it sucked just as bad at first BUT after the first few pints of pure stout peanut butter paste (which tasted awesome by the way, we could sell that ****) it actually began to flow well and was very tasty. The flavor I find is very dependent on how much of the pb2 that stays in suspension. Otherwise it all drops out and the flavor is minimal.

Personally I made mine with real peanut butter. should've been more patient with the de-oiling process because you could sorta detect a film on the top and in the aroma, but turned out well. 39.5 at LongShot actually.

I used two cans of PB2 in secondary of an imperial stout. The peanut butter flavor and aroma was there when the beer was young. However, as the beer ages, the PB flavor is fading away. I will try the LoAnns PB oils next time.

After 14 days in the primary it was racked to secondary and an entire box of peanut butter toast crunch was added and left to sit for 5 days. After sampling the beer we weren't happy with the peanut butter flavor so we added an entire box of Reeses peanut butter cup cereal for another 5 days which did the trick.

question for you.... I have 5 gallons going right now of my own recipe that is in secondary with a full box of Reese's in there "dry cerealing". My question is, did you bottle??... if so, how much did the sugar from the cereal throw off the amount of priming sugar needed? Last thing I want is bottles blowing up from over-carbing. Cheers.

"Rack onto 1 dram Lorann Oils Peanut Butter flavoring"

1 dram? How much is that?

I just tried my third version of peanut butter stout. Over the last 6 months I've attempted to brew a stout with a good, strong peanut butter flavor, and I started my last batch about 2 months ago. It may (hopefully) still get a bit better with age, but it's already fantastic.

I read a ton of posts here about people struggling with good peanut butter flavor, so I thought I'd share my success recipe:

Extract (with steeping grains)

Steep
8 oz chocolate malt
8 oz roasted barley
4 oz flaked barley
4 oz crystal 40L
Boil
1 oz nugget hops 60 min
7 lbs dark liquid extract
Safale 05
Ferment
2 weeks in primary, rack onto 2 6.5-oz jars of PB2 for one week
Bottle
Rack onto 1 dram Lorann Oils Peanut Butter flavoring (Peanut Butter Flavor 1-ounce | LorAnn Oils) in bottling bucket

It's been in the bottle 4 weeks now.

Back