Successful Peanut Butter Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TheCorp,

Any attempt to sanitize the cereal? Not sure how you would do that without turning it into mush. Maybe bake in the oven, low and slow.

Shelve stable groceries do not need to be sanitized.
They have enough preservatives to end the world!!

Plus, from what I understand, anything with that little moisture content cannot really carry bugs/infections.

Great thread! I'm resaerching ideas for making a Peanut butter stout and your cereal idea sounds great. I think I might try crushing the Reese's P.B. cereal in a blender and then using the randall to infuse the cereal from one keg to another. Will try this recipe sometime in the next several weeks. Thanks for an intriging idea!

Not sure if crushing it is a good idea, you may end up with a lot of particles in the beer. Yesterday I took about a cup of the cereal and put it in my French press with two bottles of Narwhal and let it sit for a few hours. It was a pretty good approximation of what the beer tasted like and it showed me that maybe 5 days on the cereal is unnecessary.

Edit: Also, the flavor is all on the outside of the cereal, I don't think the puffs themselves have much flavor. I could be wrong though.

Double edit: I just rinsed one off and tasted it, it was horrible. Definitely don't crush them, the flavor is all on the outside.

Thanks for the info, I'll try one keg with the randall full of the whole cereal and see how it tastes. With the randall, I think it'll strip the coating off without hopefully disintigrating the puff. I'll make sure to use a low pressure when forcing it from the 1st to the 2nd keg. This is done naturally before carbing the beer.

So a quick update on my PBS, after infecting it with brett and letting it sit for a couple of months it has both gotten rid of the chemical taste and added a very nice slight sour background. I only did a 1gal infection and I'll re-taste the bottles, but it looks like I'll infect the remainder of the batch and re-bottle once the brett has done the work. Glad to know I can save this batch rather than pour it down the drain.

I brewed this a couple of weeks ago and had a taste last night after one week of bottle conditioning. The beer came out great and there is a prominent peanut butter flavor and aroma. I followed the recipe included in the original post, so cheers and thanks for sharing.

:mug:

I was at GABF this year and drank a peanut butter brown ale. I started with the Northern Brewer Clone kit for Surly Bender and did the same thing you did with the PB2 and Lorann Oil and it turned out exceptional.

Interesting that we both wound up with the same process, there might be something to this....

JLo, did you add the same amount of PB2 and Peanut Butter Oil and at the same times (secondary for 7 days and oil at bottling) as BDS3?

A Surly Peanut Butter Brown sounds delicious so I just wanted to make sure I'm doing everything right on this one.

Cheers!

I did a peanut butter porter and mixed it in a glass with a strawberry blonde. Tasted pretty good, bur my pb porter was weak on the pb as I only did pb2 and not the extract too

Brewed something close to the original recipe last night but got crazy and added 1/2 box of Captain Crunch peanut butter cereal to the grains while steeping. I also added 4oz of Lactose and a pound of Dark DME and 6 pounds of dark LME. I was going to add 8oz of lactose but I do not know if the cereal is going to add to the sweetness so I cut it back. Going to let it rest a week or two then take some readings. I will rack it over the 16oz of PB2 in the carboy for the secondary.
Also my wife was in Lancaster for a meeting so I sent her with a growler to get a refill of the Spring House Big Grusome. It does taste like a liquid peanut butter cup:rockin:

Brewed something close to the original recipe last night but got crazy and added 1/2 box of Captain Crunch peanut butter cereal to the grains while steeping. I also added 4oz of Lactose and a pound of Dark DME and 6 pounds of dark LME. I was going to add 8oz of lactose but I do not know if the cereal is going to add to the sweetness so I cut it back. Going to let it rest a week or two then take some readings. I will rack it over the 16oz of PB2 in the carboy for the secondary.
Also my wife was in Lancaster for a meeting so I sent her with a growler to get a refill of the Spring House Big Grusome. It does taste like a liquid peanut butter cup:rockin:

I'm interested to hear how this turns out. I've considered adding a little lactose to this the next time I brew, and I've been curious about how the addition of cereal might change things as well. Please keep us posted.

My PB Stout is all done. I am calling this one Captain P.B. Stout. I used the original receipe posted , but put my own twist on it.

Steep
8 oz chocolate malt
8 oz roasted barley
4 oz flaked barley
4 oz crystal 40L
half box Capt. Crunch PB cereal

Boil
1 oz nugget hops 60 min
6 lbs dark liquid extract
1 lb dark DME
4oz Lactose
Safale 05

Ferment
1 week in primary,
rack onto 2 6.5-oz jars of PB2 for ten days in carboy
after the first 5 days add 4oz. cocao nibs for last 5 days

OG was 1.062
FG was 1.020 (was 1.020 after primary and did not move at all in secondary)

I sampled it before going into a keg and man was the PB flavor over powering. I was worried, but now after being in the keg for a few days it has mellowed alittle. I only used 4oz of lactose because I did not know how much the cereal would sweeten it. I think next batch I will only add 1/4 box of Captain Crunch.

Well done! I'll have to give the Cap'n a try next time. I have 5 gallons sitting on Reese's cereal right now, should be done this weekend.

I modified my recipe to hopefully hit 11-12% but right now it's only at about 10.5%, not sure if it's stalled or if i'll get lucky and it will finish out. I think I got a little too overzealous and may end up with a very sweet beer.

I love the idea of the lactose, kinda like adding milk to your cereal. :)

Thanks so much for the recipe mate I can't wait to try it out. The photos look so rich and creamy like a stout should be. Thanks again and happy new year

Bds3 - thanks for the recipe. I look forward to trying it. Do you think I could use a Mr. Beer lbk and cut the ingredients to a ratio for an lbk fill. Something like 2.2 gallons instead of 5? I'm assuming you made 5g? Again thanks for the recipe.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

One other question. Did you prime at all in the bottling bucket or bottles or anything? If so, with what and how much?

One other question. Did you prime at all in the bottling bucket or bottles or anything? If so, with what and how much?

I kegged mine. Tasted really good after 2 weeks. As of yesterday the PB flavor has mellowed greatly. IMO it was the best around that 2 to 3 week period.

Made this a little while back for swmbo who doesn't really like beer. She likes it and I like it. The pb taste is mellow but definitely there. We used yoopers ag oatmeal stout recipe and the pb steps described in the first post and it is good. Too rich to drink a lot of but still good.

Any updates? I'm about to dump 2 boxes of PB captain crunch into the secondary (day 14) with 2oz of cocoa nibs (soaked in a small amount of vodka for 2 days). Thoughts?

Was just searching for PB Stout for a little assistance with mine and stumbled onto this. I've got a PM Chocolate Stout on the stove right now. I was thinking I'd like to rack onto a couple jars of peanut butter powder in the secondary. Hopefully will get the peanut butter hint that I'm looking for.

My peanut butter stout

1394655099999.jpg

Ok, so we have PB crunch Cerial,PB crunch w/nibs, pb2 powder, did Miss any? Has anyone found the PB flavor to be too strong, giving a good reference point to work backwards? And, it seems most methods have been described as the PB flavor dissipating after a couple of weeks. Anyone find a method where the flavor sticks around longer?

I used pb2 and half dram or loranns pb flavoring and after few weeks bottle condition was amazing

Thank you soo much for this recipe!!! I brewed 1 1/2 ago ill rack onto secondary thurs on top of 12 oz of pb2 and 4 oz cocca nibs. Im gonna put 1 dram in at bottling. How long should I let sit in bottles? I been doin at least 3 weeks. Im soo excited to drink I wanna crack 1 asap but I dont want to sacrafice taste.

I'm glad everybody's have gone so well. Mine is now one year old, and with some impressive self-control (and a lot of other beer) I've saved a 12 pack. It's better now than it was at 6 months or so. Interestingly, it was maybe the best when it was young, ~3 months, which I certainly found interesting for a stout. Basically it went from incredible to ok to good.

The next time I brew this again I think I'll try the Peanut Butter Cap'n Crunch idea I read of someone using a few pages ago.

Any update on how this turned out?

Any update on how this turned out?
Turned out great,just about out of it. The flavor profile changes week to week. Today I could taste more chocolate coming through. Lets just say it never tasted bad and gets better with age.

Latest posts

Back