Success!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadYetiBrew

Reaction score
:ban: I made an Imperial Stout for someone a couple weeks ago. Quick story short.

Was on yeast cake 3 weeks and fermentation stopped at 1.030, it grew a bacteria layer on top. Transferred and the layer formed worse. 2 weeks later transferred again and dry hopped to try and stop the bacteria... The layer form again.

Went to the brew shop the other day and the owner gave me some camden tablets said to dissolve them and add to the brew and pitch some more yeast, reason being the bacteria was in there from the start and the reason it stopped at 1.030 is because the bacteria killed the yeast (i assume). Anyway, the brew tastes great even with white floating fuzzy bacteria.

Transferred today and added the dissolved camden... SUCCESS! no more white film over the top. I think the dry hopping was actually working because when i would jostle the carboy the layer of bacteria wouldn't reform. Anywho, i threw some Irish Ale Yeast that I washed into it to finish it and so i'll have active yeasties to bottle with.

I'm happy. :rockin: (<- Hes rocking to Superbeast by Rob Zombie)

good work...but if it was my beer, I'd have fed it to the plants outside and started over.
I know some infections can be over come, but its only $20 worth of beer at most.

DeadYetiBrew said:
:ban: I made an Imperial Stout for someone a couple weeks ago. Quick story short.

Was on yeast cake 3 weeks and fermentation stopped at 1.030, it grew a bacteria layer on top. Transferred and the layer formed worse. 2 weeks later transferred again and dry hopped to try and stop the bacteria... The layer form again.

Went to the brew shop the other day and the owner gave me some camden tablets said to dissolve them and add to the brew and pitch some more yeast, reason being the bacteria was in there from the start and the reason it stopped at 1.030 is because the bacteria killed the yeast (i assume). Anyway, the brew tastes great even with white floating fuzzy bacteria.

Transferred today and added the dissolved camden... SUCCESS! no more white film over the top. I think the dry hopping was actually working because when i would jostle the carboy the layer of bacteria wouldn't reform. Anywho, i threw some Irish Ale Yeast that I washed into it to finish it and so i'll have active yeasties to bottle with.

I'm happy. :rockin: (<- Hes rocking to Superbeast by Rob Zombie)

Could have been mold...

malkore said:
good work...but if it was my beer, I'd have fed it to the plants outside and started over.
I know some infections can be over come, but its only $20 worth of beer at most.

Yeah, me too. Congrats on the success, but for $8 a batch, any moldy beer in my buckets goes outside for the deer. :D

I woulder if they would drink it?

EdWort said:
Yeah, me too. Congrats on the success, but for $8 a batch, any moldy beer in my buckets goes outside for the deer. :D

My thoughts exactly. Bad beer is the pitts, drinking it is the sh_ts.

malkore said:

Never.... I'll always attempt to save a beer... It's not bad beer, it just got a little sick, it tasted great actually and if i could have i would have bottled it the way it was.

EdWort said:

Unfortunately I'm not down to $8 a batch yet. I'm still in the $20-30 range. I've still got to invest in a mill, plus i gotta get kegging. So any money I save is worth it.

Also, he gave me a carboy cap, the tablets, and some more yeast for free so it's not like i wasted money tying to save it

Back