Subtle, Malty Pale Ale Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
Hi folks, I have a great supply of "craft" pale ale malt from two tracks malting out of North Dakota. I recently made a smash with this malt, sterling hops and pacman yeast and its incredible. The malt is mildly biscuity, with a deep honey/toast background. The SMASH ale had an original gravity of only 1.042 so it is very sessionable and light.

I am thinking of using this malt as the base for a larger ale, maybe 1.055 with sterling and spalter hops. I want to make the beer to the APA style but on the lower end of the IBU range to help accentuate this awesome malt. Besides the pale malt base i was thinking a touch of carahell, a little C40 and some biscuit. I have WLP029 ready to go to ferment this beer clean and lager like.

Something like German Pale Ale.

Thoughts!?

It sounds like a great plan. I would possibly sub Munich II (not CaraMunich) for the Carahell and C40. I believe it will be delicious either way though!

Back