Substitute for Oxyclean and PBW

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minduim

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been considering going for kegs, but I stumbled upon a problem.

Most people seem to be using cornies; this type of keg is very rare here in Brazil, it is nowhere as common as it seems to be in the US. I noticed, however, that some peple are using sanke kegs as well, and this is a good alternative for me: easy to find, the price is almost the same as the used cornies that rarely turn up here in Brazil.

The problem is that I'm concerned about the cleaning procedure. Some threads suggest using oxyclean and pbw, though these are unavailable in Brazil too (lol, precarious isn't it?).

Does someone knows of a reliable substitute for these products? As a last resort I was thinking about employing caustic soda, but I wan't to avoid it because of it's dangerous nature.

cheers :mug:

What about using iodophor sanitizer. It is used in the dairy industry and they ought to sell it in Brazil in feed stores maybe.

I am actually going to buy some tonight.

Dean

Iodophor is a sanitizer, isn't it? At least, this is what I use it for. What worries me is the gunk that may form on the inside of the sanke kegs, because I can't reach inside to remove it by hand, so I need something that is able to dissolve it.

PBW and OxyClean are cleansers. Iodophor is an iodine based sanitizer. These are not the same thing. You first have to clean the equipment before you can properly sanitize. Try using a mild dish detergent, preferably one that is free of any perfumes to remove any old dirt and stains. Just make sure that you rinse the living ba-jeezus out of your keg after washing. Then sanitize with a solution of iodophor or StarSan or sanitizer of your choosing.

Iodophor is a sanitizer, isn't it? At least, this is what I use it for. What worries me is the gunk that may form on the inside of the sanke kegs, because I can't reach inside to remove it by hand, so I need something that is able to dissolve it.

A long handled brush will be able to do the scrubbing. Something like this would be ideal.

Any farming stores that sell milk tank kleaner?
here you can get mim and mi-acid wich is caustic and acid cleaners for the dairy industry

Yeah Iodophor won't work as a cleaner. Can you get unscented sodium percarbonate in any form?

Maybe I can find this sodium percarbonate. I've heard about a comercial product that is supposed to be basically sodium percarbonate, it's a powder.

My guess is you can get it somewhere. Same thing as PBW or oxyclean. Some dollar stores around here even have it.

Oxiclean is sodium carbonate (washing soda) and sodium percarbonate (which does the oxygen bleaching as a peroxide). I would think you could find washing soda available anywhere. I use washing soda to clean around the house too.

Caustic is scarey but it is safe in low concentrations. At work I scrub the kettle using no gloves and caustic. Personaly if I couldent get pbw I would use caustic before oxyclean even

Sodium percarbonate is what I use to clean the sankes I ferment in. I put about 6 tablespoons with hot water from the hot water heater and let it sit for a few days. Then I scrub it out a little, and then rinse. I would NEVER put detergent or soap in your fermenter unless you don't like your beers to have head. You should be able to buy sodium percarbonate from any chemical supply store.

I prefer real caustic (sodium hydroxide) over PBW and Oxiclean. Caustic does a quicker better job and you can pump it with out foaming as much.

Can you get automatic dishwasher detergent? Try to find an unscented one, usually the cheapest one on the shelf. It probably doesn't have any peroxide in it, but is pretty good stuff for cleaning.

For routine cleaning of items that can be sponged off, I use good old Dawn dishwashing liquid, and have for four years, with no problems. Note: my beers have the appropriate head. For cleaning small items such as tubing, etc., I use PBW. Generic per carbonate cleaners won't work around here, because of the hardness of the water. I then sanitize with Star San.

The web site in Portuguese earlier is for a Brazilian firm that manufactures hydrogen peroxide (peróxidos de hidrogênio). While this is an oxidizing agent and may work, it's not normally recommended for brewing.

Back