Substitute for Galaxy Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hubbs

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am trying to make a clone of Kona Brewing's Big Wave Golden Ale. I think it is delicious, and I have wanted to clone it for 6 months or so. According to the Kona website, they use Citra and Galaxy hops. I do not have Galaxy, and as I have upwards of 25lbs of hops in the freezer, I would rather not buy any more.

Anyone have any suggestions for a substitution for the Galaxy? I have the following hops:

Amarillo
Belma
Bravo
CTZ
Citra
Chinook
Cascade
Columbia
Centennial
Crystal
El Dorado
Fuggles
Golding
Hellertau
Horizon
Magnum
Meridian
Northern Brewer
Santium
Simcoe
Sorachi Ace
Sterling
Summit
Tettnang
Warrior
Willamette

I'm thinking maybe Meridian or El Dorado. Thoughts?

I agree with the El Dorado. I just tapped into a single hop APA (house grist bill ) that I did w/Galaxy in Nov. - tropical and fruity. I'm with you, if I didn't have a crap-load of hops already I'd be trying to pick up a lb. of 'em.

TOM

I agree that Big Wave is delicious, awsome hop aroma. I don't know that there is a substitute for Galaxy. Maybe an El Dorado, Crystal blend? I've done a single hop Meridian and I got nothing like Galaxy. Slumbrew makes an IPA called Flagraiser that uses Columbus, Crystal, and Galaxy in the dry hop, and those 3 work pretty nice together.

I do an IPA with Amarillo, Belma, and Centennial...and has great tropical flavors...galaxy is one of those hops that's pretty unique...but..I'm finding Belma mixed with other fruity hops does pretty awesome

Thanks for the replies, I think I will go with the El Dorado and Crystal combo. Thanks for the replies. I will let you know how it works out.

Maybe next year I'll be able to get some Galaxy, I just can't justify buying any more hops.

Back