Sub for Pale Chocolate Malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dondeez

Reaction score
I would like to brew a recipe that uses 4oz of Pale Chocolate malt. My LHBS doesnt carry pale but they do carry Chocolate malt. Would I be safe using 2oz of regular chocolate malt instead of the 4oz of pale?

My guess is that is not what you want to do. Pale is a flavor of malt. Using less of a darker malt probably will not give you what you are looking for.

Maybe order it online? have you tried midwest brewing supplies?

What are you trying to be safe from?

If you're trying to stay true to the recipe then you'll be off on both gravity and flavor by making the substitution.

Will it still be beer? Yep!

Will it turn into a monster and eat your family? Probably not, but don't quote me on that.

Will it kill you in your sleep? Very slowly....

I just ran into this problem. Subed 1/3 the amount of chocolate malt. I'm not worried. Should be fine. RDWHAHB.

I would replace the 4 oz of pale chocolate with 2 oz chocolate and 2 oz of base malt. This way your gravity won't suffer the reduction in malt.

Pale chocolate is fun in a brew, but having 12 oz sitting in the basement waiting for the next recipe may not be worth mail ordering. Depends on how often you brew and how many recipes with pale chocolate malt catch your eye.

So many beers, so little time.

I've subbed half the amount of chocolate malt before with no deleterious effect, pale chocolate gives a toasty flavor that's pretty unique though. It will definitely be beer :p

Pale chocolate is pretty distinct in flavor and cannot easily be substituted (much like honey malt). If I had to make a sub, I'd add enough Carafa Special I to match the originally desired color and leave it at that.

Back