Sub 5 gallon electric kits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbzdel

Reaction score
Hey guys, started brewing several years ago, started with 5 gallon extract then moved onto all grain, then moved onto a 10 gallon system, then started to play a little with electric BIAB system. Then life happened, my son was born and brewing vanished and was eventually sold off. As I pulled a Coors Lite from my refrigerator last night I thought to myself, this sucks I need better but I dont want to go pay $10 for a quality 6 pack.. Thus home brew is now back on my mind.

Looking back at my experience, I definitely got carried away.. I am a solo drinker and just bought into all the new flashy stuff that kept coming out when really basic worked just as well.

Thinking about what I would like now. Something electric and 120v, I want to be able to brew in my garage when it is raining outside. I used to have a SS Brew Tech brew bucket and I loved it. But I am thinking 5gal batch is still a bit much for a single drinker, plus I would prefer some variety. I was thinking about picking up the 3.5 Gallon SS Brew Tech fermenter and then find a smaller system to go with that.

I realize planning a whole system around a fermenter is not the best idea, but really i am just looking for a smaller 2.5 to 3 gallon electric system.

I looked at the Grainfather and Brewers Edge but both of those appear to be for 5 gallon batches. I know there is the Pico Brew but that just seems to advanced for me and I would prefer a little more control and involvement though the process.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

If you're willing to commit $800 to a grainfather, then that gives you a ton of options. you could build your own system for much less than that, using electric.

It's not as automated an option as some of the others, but I've often wondered what you give up in flexibility for such a system.

You could put together an electric boil kettle for under $300, add a fermenter, maybe a mash tun, and you're there. And you can use the savings for other "new flashy stuff" that will make your life easier, like a refractometer, maybe a grain mill, pH meter, and so on.

Just a thought.

Lots of options! You can brew smaller batches on a brewers edge and I've seen those for $250 or less for the holidays. Also a smaller pot and BIAB o. The stove is definitely doable below 5 gallons. Or even an induction burner and a stainless tri clad pot could get it done. Lots of budget option. If you want to do 5 gallon batches and split the wort you could have fun with that too. Different dry hop additions, coffee infusion, different yeast. You could have lots of fun!

Keep it simple

Get yourself a 5 gallon brew pot with a valve. Get a sous vide stick, a 5 gallon paint strainer bag from Lowe’s, and a solar pump from amazon and some fittings

Any stovetop should Boil 3-4 gallons on high with the lid cracked. Just heat the water to strike temp, place the sous vide stick in the pot in a hop spider to keep the grain out, dough in, recirculate during the mash with the solar pump and run the sous vide stick to keep your mash temps. Pull and squeeze the bag at the end of your mash, then boil, chill with an immersion chiller while you whirlpool with the solar pump, and then xfer to your fermenter.

Cheap easy repeatable. It’s what I did for a year before I started upgrading to my 3 vessel basement system

Only reason I upgraded to the larger electric system in my basement, is because I had the space, and I wanted something that I could wake up in the morning, turn on, and walk away while it heated up

Unfortunately stove top brewing is not an option for me, my wife absolutely hates the smell of hops so kitchen brewing will never be an option.

The closest I will get to indoor brewing is being in my open garage haha

Look into the Pico brew, make sure you at least get that you can load your own grains into and also order a kit if you wish. There’s other systems like this on the market, they slipping my mind at the moment.

I purchased the Gigawort from Northern Brewer because I am in the same boat as you. I don’t need 5 gallon batches and I like variety and getting to brew more often. It’s the same as a Mash& Boil and has performed well for me. They say it is for partial mash brewing, but I have done 2.5 gallon all grain batches with zero issue. It holds a temp, and if you throw a bag in there, I don’t see why all grain is an issue. All in one system. Small footprint. 120volt.

I won’t say it’s the ultimate system, but it works well for me.

Unfortunately stove top brewing is not an option for me, my wife absolutely hates the smell of hops so kitchen brewing will never be an option.

The closest I will get to indoor brewing is being in my open garage haha
Doesn't like the smell of hops! That's like saying you don't like how soft puppies are! That just.... I don't under.... What the........... I need a beer. [emoji30] [emoji481]

Hey guys, started brewing several years ago, started with 5 gallon extract then moved onto all grain, then moved onto a 10 gallon system, then started to play a little with electric BIAB system. Then life happened, my son was born and brewing vanished and was eventually sold off. As I pulled a Coors Lite from my refrigerator last night I thought to myself, this sucks I need better but I dont want to go pay $10 for a quality 6 pack.. Thus home brew is now back on my mind.

Looking back at my experience, I definitely got carried away.. I am a solo drinker and just bought into all the new flashy stuff that kept coming out when really basic worked just as well.

Thinking about what I would like now. Something electric and 120v, I want to be able to brew in my garage when it is raining outside. I used to have a SS Brew Tech brew bucket and I loved it. But I am thinking 5gal batch is still a bit much for a single drinker, plus I would prefer some variety. I was thinking about picking up the 3.5 Gallon SS Brew Tech fermenter and then find a smaller system to go with that.

I realize planning a whole system around a fermenter is not the best idea, but really i am just looking for a smaller 2.5 to 3 gallon electric system.

I looked at the Grainfather and Brewers Edge but both of those appear to be for 5 gallon batches. I know there is the Pico Brew but that just seems to advanced for me and I would prefer a little more control and involvement though the process.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!
I have the mini brew bucket as well as the larger brew bucket. I brew in the garage with an induction burner, BIAB, and use a dorm style fridge with an ink bird for temp control. Works great.
I can fit the mini bucket and a $10 MrBeer keg fermenter in there at the same time, or for slightly larger batches 3.5gal+ just the brew bucket.

Doesn't like the smell of hops! That's like saying you don't like how soft puppies are! That just.... I don't under.... What the........... I need a beer. [emoji30] [emoji481]

It's the smell of beer brewing of which hops are part. My wife is the same way, doesn't like the smells coming from brewing, but she likes the beer. I never smell the normal hoppiness aroma I get from fermented beer, not when I'm brewing.

Here's a weird thing: I'm using the steam slayer device BobbyM sells, that condenses steam coming off a "sealed" kettle. The system works wonderfully, but there's an odd smell in the garage when I'm done. It's not a pleasant smell, not horrible, but nothing desirable. It's different than the smell of normal brewing beer, whose brewing smells are an acquired taste--but once acquired, it's heaven.

Don't know why. I end up having to open the garage doors when finished to get most of that smell out of there.

It's the smell of beer brewing of which hops are part. My wife is the same way, doesn't like the smells coming from brewing, but she likes the beer. I never smell the normal hoppiness aroma I get from fermented beer, not when I'm brewing.

Here's a weird thing: I'm using the steam slayer device BobbyM sells, that condenses steam coming off a "sealed" kettle. The system works wonderfully, but there's an odd smell in the garage when I'm done. It's not a pleasant smell, not horrible, but nothing desirable. It's different than the smell of normal brewing beer, whose brewing smells are an acquired taste--but once acquired, it's heaven.

Don't know why. I end up having to open the garage doors when finished to get most of that smell out of there.
I guess I get it. Not everyone likes the same things, but I always thought of brewing as smelling a lot like baking. My wife and kids love it! Fermentation I understand. You can get some funky smells from a ferment! But to me brew day smells have more in common with breads and cakes. It just makes me hungry!

While not technically a "kit".... for small BIAB batches, I use a cheap turkey fryer pot with a 1650w element and 5gal paint strainer bags from lowes.

Like you, OP, I am the sole beer drinker in my house, and I like variety, so my standard batch size is 2.5 gal. I brew my 2.5 gal batches in a Northern Brewer GigaWort Electric (holds 4.4 gal), and I ferment in an SS Brewtech Mini, which nicely handles 3.5 gal. As backup, and mostly for secondary fermentation, I have a 3 gal Fermonster (with spigot). I also have a standard 4 gal bottling bucket. All together, as far as I’m concerned, it’s the perfect, value-oriented 2.5 gal setup. Also use an ink bird for temperature monitoring of fermentation. All makes for good system, probably easily under $500 for everything

Back