Styles of Beer You Just Can't Stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to partially agree with the sours trend here. I had one from Dogfish a couple months ago and it's just something I have to be in the mood for. Otherwise, it tastes like bad hard cider.

I have to partially agree with the sours trend here. I had one from Dogfish a couple months ago and it's just something I have to be in the mood for. Otherwise, it tastes like bad hard cider.

I used to love sours. Especially flanders. Was never crazy about Lambic alcopop, but could tolerate it. Couldn't stomach Orval.

When I began to appreciate them there were few options to choose from. Now, it seems everyone has an offering and most that I have tried do not compare.

I suspect it has to do with kettle souring vs more traditional techniques but have never cared to delve into each breweries methods.

"I like scotch and I like ale but this one together literally made me feel like I was going to spew."

First, I think he needs to abandon the connection between the the beer and the spirit.

I'm aware there isn't scotch (liquor) in the Scotch Ale... was just making a funny. :D

Anyone remember ten - fifteen years ago when all the Christmas beers were brown, sweet and over spiced?

All of those. Gross.

I've avoided all holiday beers up until last year. I don't know when brewer wised up that beer is not supposed to taste like an elf pooped out a pumpkin pie and wiped with a spruce cone, but I'm glad they wised up.

Am I the only one here that actually loves belgian beers? I just got back into brewing and just about everything I want to brew is some sort of belgian!
I do not have a beer "style" that I don't like, I really want to like Sam Adams stuff just cause their packaging is so pretty but every time I buy a 6'er of anything I end up dumping it.
I can typically drink 4,5,6 different types of beers in one sitting (Fruit, stout, Belgium, porters etc) and some times I even mix..i.e. Smithwicks and cider are awesome together!

For me on the rare it'd be sours, I've tried to get into them but just can't and then porters, they're just to thin for what I want in that dark style of beer I'd much rather have an Irish stout or even a slightly higher say breakfast or oatmeal stout. Oh and any beer that has adjuncts like vanilla especially that tastes like they used fake vanilla extract to where it so overpowers the beers is really off putting.

Can't stand hefeweizen or almost any wheat beer. Certain Belgian strains of yeast create undrinkable beers.

Top of the list is most Belgian beers.
Second is most lagers. Pretty much tasteless. Yea darker lagers have more flavor but can't match a good ale.

That said I'm crazy about most of the ales around. Minus the Belgian's of course. LOL

I can find beers in most styles I enjoy but there are plenty of flavors/ingredients I dislike...

Obviously most of the macro lagers (BMC)

• tin/metallic
    sulfur
    green apple
    skunk
Herbal English ales

• lemon-grass
    black pepper
    tea
Anything that tastes like cheap fruit extract (SA Cherry Wheat)
Anything where the yeast is more noticeable than hops or malts

I don't hate any , but I've never had a wit that I liked much. I'm also at a loss for the current trend of adding fruit juices/purees/fruits to pale ales and IPAs. I've never had one that wouldn't have tasted better without the addition. Beers tend to taste better if they taste of beer, rather than mango juice. Similarly I think mango juice tastes better on its own rather than hoying some beer into it

Had a Raspberry Rye Berliner Weisse last night that I was excited about, but could barely finish the bottle. Was so sour it made my jaw clamp up, with just a tiny aftertaste to give any indication I was even a beer! In general terms I dislike IPAs who's bitterness goes over the 'sweet spot' (that is my own personal preference) and becomes harsh/ overpowering. Also Belgians that are overly sweet/ estery!

I'm not a huge fan of spices in my beer. I generally avoid beers brewed with coriander and any of the pumpkin spice beers. Some of those pumpkin ones taste like they were brewed in a potpourri factory. Yuck!

I don't care for many of the fruit infused beers, unless the fruit happens to be grapefruit, then I can usually enjoy it. I will generally avoid pumpkin beers as well, even the more highly rated ones are just too syrupy for me.
But yeah, jumping on the bandwagon here, I would say belgians are my least favorite, I'll sometimes try one if I'm somewhere that offers flights, but I won't buy one at the bottle shop, or intentionally order a pint.

Am I the only one here that actually loves belgian beers? I just got back into brewing and just about everything I want to brew is some sort of belgian!
I do not have a beer "style" that I don't like, I really want to like Sam Adams stuff just cause their packaging is so pretty but every time I buy a 6'er of anything I end up dumping it.
I can typically drink 4,5,6 different types of beers in one sitting (Fruit, stout, Belgium, porters etc) and some times I even mix..i.e. Smithwicks and cider are awesome together!

There are tons of people on this forum who absolutely adore Belgian beers. In fact, there isn't a style of Belgian beer that I don't like. Belgian sours are my favorite kinds of beers in the world (Lambics, Oude Bruins, Flemish red ales, Gueuzes, etc.).

But this thread is about what people can't stand, not what they like. And Belgian beers are, as I'm sure you know, full of character. And anything that has a strong character is going to have a lot of people who both love and hate it. Same thing with anything. Drinks, food, music, books, movies, etc. :mug:

Most spiced or fruit beers. All commercial American lagers. Budweiser is one that I will only drink if someone gives to me and there is no alternative. And it is not because of their monopolistic policies. It just tastes gross.

Gose beers... they're the new ipa and they just dont do anything for me. Not really a fan of wheat beers either. I dont mind if there's a little wheat 8n the grist but a wheat style beer just isn't good to me.

I love Belgians. I am doing a imperial Belgium wit tomorrow .I love the complexity of the different flavors of a triple quad and the dark ones are even better . I feel the Belgians got three things right waffles chocolate and beer.

One word, Tequiza! Makes me shiver just thinking about it, that stuff was nasty.

Anything smoked. Anything with any smoked malts like rauchmalt in them.
Also, not into beers that use roasted malts like chocolate, black, or roasted barley to color correct and make a beer into a red or amber.

I've only had one chocolate stout, but it was pretty bad (in my opinion). Surprising - and disappointing - since it was from Sam Smith, and I really like their porter and oatmeal stout. Might have to try another to be sure.

But the type that I find just disgusting is bourbon barrel beer. Tried a few, couldn't get past a few sips.

I am a beer guy/person (as are all of us, right?) and love to try a lot of different ones. But after trying sour beers I have come to believe my palate just doesn't mesh with that style. At a recent tasting I had a gose from a brewer that is award winning. Still was a solid negative.

Pumpkin beers. I get pumpkin spice latte, but I have yet to get a pumpkin beer I can stand.

If you're like me, you love just about all styles; except for a very select few. What are they for you?

For me:

White IPA - to me this completely disregards the entire concept for 'balance' and personally I think it tastes disgusting.

Coffee IPA - I do like the taste of coffee and I do like IPA's for the most part, but together, not so much.

Pilsner - because of my days drinking bud and miller, I just cannot put these up to my nose. I can't do it.

I can't stand the taste of Banana in my beer! just can't do it, nope not at all.

Can honestly say I've never had a Saison I've liked.

And overly sweet stouts (looking at you Neapolitan stout)

Belgian IPAs. [emoji13]
I think it's 'cause I like actual IPAs. Banana yeast doesn't really meld with pine and citrus. [emoji37]

Anything that has fruit or plant matter other than Hops, Coriander, or Chile (besides the grains). I also hate flavored coffee but the absolute worse is beer is "grapefruit". I will not have any flavored beers and ask for no fruit on a Blue Moon.

Back