Style Suggestions for First Temp-Controlled Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Echoloc8

Acolyte of Fermentalism
Reaction score
I've got my spanking-new fermentation fridge set up and maintaining temp, and a brew day scheduled for this Saturday. Plenty of time to formulate a basic recipe, and submit it to my LHBS for Friday pickup.

I live in Alabama, which is currently in the grip of a cold snap (you may have heard), but generally I have problems keeping things cold enough, not warm enough, and consistent above all: SWMBO loves to fiddle with the thermostat over the course of most days. Temp control (or the lack of it) has been the bane of my brewing existence since time immemorial.

So, now that I've got a way to keep temp wherever I want, what would y'all recommend for my inaugural brew? I'd love something where maintaining a good low temp matters.

I do have plans for lagering, but not just yet. I'm sort of in the mood for an IPA, and sort of for a dry stout (had a great batch a few months ago where I was able to take advantage of autumn temps). A pale ale or ESB might also be good, since those can benefit from the low-60s end of the Fahrenheit scale. It's not really the Kolsch time of year for me, but maybe an Alt or Dortmunder would work; I'm just not familiar with them.

Suggestions? :D

-Rich

Congrats on achieving temp control! I assume you're using dry yeast since you're shopping the day prior to brewing?

I suggest you pick up some S-05 and make an IPA or Pale Ale. Ferment at 59 for a nice clean profile that showcases the hops.

You can do an easy and yummy Altbier using Nottingham dry yeast. Pitch and start the ferment at 56-57*F (beer temp, sensor taped to side of vessel and insulated). Leave it there 4-5 days and then start to slowly bump it up a degree F or so each day until you get to 66*F and leave it there 4-5 days to finish. That strain gives a very clean ferment at those temps.

With your nifty new setup, you can then reset the controller to 35*F and cold crash the primary 5-7 days to clear the beer and firm up the cake. If you keg, rack it over to the keg, purge and cold lager for 4-6 weeks (normal practice when brewing an Alt). Otherwise, you can do the cold lagering in a secondary. I did this for a keg of Alt I took to a brew festival last fall. It turned out delicious and got wiped out.

For a recipe idea, take a look here- https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f63/kaiser-alt-49953/

Congrats on achieving temp control! I assume you're using dry yeast since you're shopping the day prior to brewing

I typically only do my starters for 18-24 hours (stir plate FTW), and have great results, so I can get my starter going Friday nightish and pitch Saturday around dinnertime if I need to. Then again, I'm a big Notty and US-05 fan, so it could go either way.

I'm kind of liking BigFloyd's Altbier idea, and you can't go wrong with a Kaiser recipe. Then again the Red Rye looks excellent too--I've brewed that recipe before, and loved it. Hmm. :)

niquejim's note about a beer I've brewed several times, to see the difference, is well taken too. If I hadn't just brewed a batch of my fave porter recipe (not even out of primary yet), I'd do that one for just that reason.

Any other ideas? :ban:

-Rich

Not that I've done this, but I keep promising myself I will - whatever you brew, pick a yeast and a temperature. Then later this year, adjust ONLY the fermentation temperature by 3-5 degrees, and see what changes you notice. I've yet to settle on a "house strain" or "house ale" to do this with, but mostly because I'm focusing on working my way through the BJCP styles and entering competitions. When I do finally get my Citra IPA recipe tweaked where I like it, I plan to do this with the San Diego Super strain, in 5 degree increments.

Not that I've done this, but I keep promising myself I will - whatever you brew, pick a yeast and a temperature. Then later this year, adjust ONLY the fermentation temperature by 3-5 degrees, and see what changes you notice.

That is a very cool idea. One for later in the year, methinks. :mug:

My brew pipeline is very full at the moment, with much bottling to do, so Im inclined to go with the Altbier, since it will take a good while to finish.

Then again, if I want to "go long," why not just go with a lager? :rockin:

Hmm. I think the major reason is that I'm not sure I have time to get the starter going I'd need to do a lager. According to MrMalty, I could either get 2 vials and do a 1L starter (I'd probably do 2L, since I can), or 1 vial and do a 2.75L starter, given a 1.048ish "theoretical beer" starting gravity.

Any suggestions here? I've never done a lager.

-Rich

That is a very cool idea. One for later in the year, methinks. :mug:

My brew pipeline is very full at the moment, with much bottling to do, so Im inclined to go with the Altbier, since it will take a good while to finish.

Then again, if I want to "go long," why not just go with a lager? :rockin:

Hmm. I think the major reason is that I'm not sure I have time to get the starter going I'd need to do a lager. According to MrMalty, I could either get 2 vials and do a 1L starter (I'd probably do 2L, since I can), or 1 vial and do a 2.75L starter, given a 1.048ish "theoretical beer" starting gravity.

Any suggestions here? I've never done a lager.

-Rich

I had suggested the Alt since it incorporates some aspects of making a lager without going all -in, but there's ceratinly nothing wrong with the lager idea. If you like lighter beer, a Munich Helles would be nice. Darker beer, I prefer a Dunkel (the straight lager, not the wheat version) and have one lagering now waiting for a spot at the taps.

You're already up on the need for about twice the number of yeast cells compared to an ale. You'll also need to pay closer attention to aerating/oxygenating the lager wort unless you opt for a couple packets of dry yeast.

You'll want to chill your wort down into the mid-40's. For my current batch (a Maibock), I took it down as far as I could (mid-60's) with hose water before going to the bucket and bubbling O2. I used the fermenter fridge (which I had pre-chilled to the mid-30's) to take it the rest of the way to 45*F (which took a few hours) before pitching and beginning the ferment at 48*F (using 2124 Bohemain lager).

Since you're considering a 1.050-ish beer, check the gravity one week into fermentation. If it's 75-80% along the way to expected FG, bring it up to 62-64*F for 4-7 days for the diacetyl rest (where my Maibock is right now).

A good rule of thumb for minimum lagering period is a week for every 10 gravity points. A 1.050 beer would be at least 5 weeks.

Best wishes for whatever you decide to brew.:mug:

Thanks for the lager info. I've decided after a chat with my brew buddy to go with a Vienna lager, a Negra Modelo clone, both because it's a lager (ha!) and because Negra Modelo is a favorite example of the style.

I'm sure I'll be doing a lot more "how to lager" research before the weekend. :D I've got Kai's article to start from, and the ferm fridge is chilled and ready!

-Rich

Latest posts

Back