Style Recipe Help: West Coast(?) Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troglodytes

Reaction score
So I'm looking for a little help, because just searching for pilsner recipes I'm afraid isn't giving me the exact style I'm looking for.

I'm looking to make one of these super clean pilsners with more of a hop presence post swallow. They are still malt forward, have the same light bitterness as a German pils, but upon swallowing have enough of a palette cleansing citrus pith bitterness that keeps bringing you back for more. The best commercial comparison I can give that many might now is Modern Times' Star Jungle. The best one I've had, and would truly love to recreate is Alvarado Street's Monterey Beer.

Hopefully someone knows exactly what I'm talking about, but I know the recipe & procedure can't be the same as a regular German pils. Problem is, with some many pilsner recipes out there, I'm not sure which ones trend towards the style I'm looking to make. If I eff around and make a traditional pils, not a problem, they are delicious too; just hoping someone could point me in the right direction of something that isn't an IPL or tradtional pils.

Thanks in advance

YES! That's it. Pivo Pils is another good example. I've never heard the term Italian pils. Now I'm off to research. Thanks so much

I really like the style you are describing, I’d love to know what you came up with.

Those beers sound delish and I’d love to try them. I love the NZ pils I’ve had, a dry hopped rice lager with strata or a “California” lager I’ve had. I think they’re gonna all be in a similar vein.

I’ve made several beers like this.
All pils, 34/70, generous late hop and dry hop with some modern favorites. All excellent I’d like to play with rice as well and see if that adds something to it.

Latest posts

Back