Style question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MazdaMatt

Reaction score
i am trying to put together a recipe using BeerSmith. I know what I'm after, but I need to know what "Style" to choose so I can refine it within some sanity-checking parameters.

I know what my base malt will be Canadian 2-row and I want a significant (not overwhelming, but not terribly subtle) flavour of Caramel (I'm guessing I'll use Crystal 60 for this?) and honey (honey malt).

My un-guided guess is like this:
1/2lb honey malt
1lb crystal 60
xxlb of canadian 2-row to bring ABV up to target, probably about 8-9lbs
1oz of some bittering hops
1oz of 10-min hops

Obviously this isn't a recipe, just a guideline, but i want to plug this into Beersmith and play with numbers till I'm happy. I just need a starting point. What "Style" of beer is this?

The type of yeast and fermentation temps obviously are going to determine what you are making, but assuming ale yeast at ale temps then that looks like an amber. You might throw a little dextrine malt, maybe 4 oz to add some more body and head retention (the lb of crystal 60 L will help with that as well). It looks like you are going to end up with something downright tasty on your hands. I haven't used honey malt although my homemade crystal malt is pretty similar I have been told.

This is very much like one of my ale recipes. I'm not much for the 6 different malt recipes that seem to be so popular with many home brewers here. For my ambers, pale ales and IPA's I pretty much make them similar to yours (plus the dextrine malt), that is water, north american 2 row, crystal, dextrine, hops, yeast, good sanitation, and fermentation temps in the 60's = great ale everytime;)

Agreed. If you use American hops and yeast, you'd be in the 10B (American amber) area.

If you're using English hops and yeast, I'd select English pale ale.

Well that response makes me feel pretty awesome about this wing-it recipe. Ale temps and ale yeast was the plan. I'll look at the amber category. I have some washed S04 or S05... yeah, honestly I don't remember which one it is. Any issue with the use of either of these yeasts for this beer?

How do you feel about 1lb of caramel 60 and 0.5lb of honey malt? I've heard honey malt has quite the honey flavour for a small amount and never to use more than 0.5lb, so I'm maxed out according to random internet suggetion. Is 1lb of caramel 60 enough for that pleasant caramel aroma and taste that I'm after?

How do you feel about 1lb of caramel 60 and 0.5lb of honey malt? I've heard honey malt has quite the honey flavour for a small amount and never to use more than 0.5lb, so I'm maxed out according to random internet suggetion. Is 1lb of caramel 60 enough for that pleasant caramel aroma and taste that I'm after?

I've only used honey malt a couple of times, and I can't remember how much honey flavor I got from it.

For an American amber, you can go up to 15% or so total of crystal. I'd do a mix, though. Like .75 pound 20L and .50 pound 60L or something like that. I'm unsure what the honey malt will do to that, though, as I've never used it in an amber.

Just to pick your brain for a moment... why would you do a mix?

Keep in mind my primary goals are a caramel aroma/flavour and honey aroma/flavour, not necessarily a BJCP 10B beer. The reason I went with what I have above is the description of the crystal malts started to get into "caramel flavour and aroma" at 40, then started to get into toasty/burnt after 60. I want plenty of caramel without burnt.

Thanks for your help, Yoop.

i am trying to put together a recipe using BeerSmith. I know what I'm after, but I need to know what "Style" to choose so I can refine it within some sanity-checking parameters.

I know what my base malt will be Canadian 2-row and I want a significant (not overwhelming, but not terribly subtle) flavour of Caramel (I'm guessing I'll use Crystal 60 for this?) and honey (honey malt).

My un-guided guess is like this:
1/2lb honey malt
1lb crystal 60
xxlb of canadian 2-row to bring ABV up to target, probably about 8-9lbs
1oz of some bittering hops
1oz of 10-min hops

Obviously this isn't a recipe, just a guideline, but i want to plug this into Beersmith and play with numbers till I'm happy. I just need a starting point. What "Style" of beer is this?

with ingredients listed I really suggest you try Kona Fire Rock Pale Ale clone from recipe database, its under American Ale. I brewed it 3 times with Kolsch yeast and its my favourite

I have an american wheat I brewed and put 1/2 lb of honey malt in it and I think it is way too much for my taste. But thats just my opinion, I thought I have read where others have used more of the crystal malts and such and it helps mellow out the honey malt, but don't quote me on that. If I was making it I would use 1/4 lb this time and then the next time you'll know if you want more in the recipe.

para, thanks for the tip, I'll check it out.

dmelt, I appreciate the advice, but I'm really looking to taste honey so your description makes me want to stick with 1/2lb. :)

I have used honey malt before at 0.25 lb. IMHO I don't think it was enough and if I were to use it again I would bump it up to 0.5 lb

To help answer your other question, I think people mix crystal malts for added complexity and color

It looks like a very tasty start you have there

I used Honey Malt almost anywhere I could because I had 3 lbs of it. I once made Munich Helles with 0.25 lbs of it and its developed into really nice lager after 2 months. But now I wish I kept Honey Malt for Fire Rock Plae Ale since that recipe rocks! My brother said best beer he ever had. Got to get more Honey Malt, I love it if used in moderation :rockin:

para, I looked at the recipe you suggested. Look delicious, but not QUITE what I'm shooting for - for one thing the Kolsh is a heavy attenuator for dry beer. I want this one to have some malty sweetness to it, so I'm going to stick to a more standard ale yeast.

para, I looked at the recipe you suggested. Look delicious, but not QUITE what I'm shooting for - for one thing the Kolsh is a heavy attenuator for dry beer. I want this one to have some malty sweetness to it, so I'm going to stick to a more standard ale yeast.

I'd stick with your recipe just the way you listed it. US-05 or 04 will be fine as long as it isn't too old. Otherwise just use a new pouch of rehydrated us-05 or Notty (my favorite) and try to ferment in the mid 60's, and you should have a great american amber. Then you can decide if the 1/2 lb of Honey malt is too much and adjust the next time you brew it. No need to mix the crystal malts either. A lb of 60 L will be fine although as mentioned above a lb 60L plus .5 lb honey malt does have the potential to be too sweet or even slightly cloying for some folks.

Okay, this is on the to-do list as soon as I'm off brewing probation. Money's tight and wifey's sick of the barage of brew-days my buddy and I have had lately :) haha. Probably a couple weeks from now I'll get a chance to do this.

from my experience US-05 or Notty will attenuate your beer even more, my last batch of KFPA finished at 1.013 and was perfect balance between sweetnes and maltines. IMHO dry yeast has such a boring profile I don't use it anymore. But hey, its your beer:mug:

Interesting thoughts.

Although this has been getting slightly mixed reviews, I think it is positive enough to say that I'm going to go with my original plan, which I've further detailed using Beersmith, and just go for it so I can say this is MY beer. Complete ownership = complete responsibility for success or failure. Also, the simple nature of it should make an excellent jump-off for tuning the recipe.

Thread ressurection update:

First batch:
8.5lb Canadian 2-Row Pale Malt
1.0lb Crystal 77L (couldn't get crysal 60, so I mixed 77 and 45)
0.5lb Crystal 45L
0.5lb Honey Malt
Hops
0.75oz Centennial
1.0oz East Kent Goldings
Yeast
1pkg US05 American Ale yeast

Two days before bottling my cat knocked the airlock off and fruit flies ruined the beer.

Second batch:
4kg Marris Otter (decided to go a little more british)
1.0lb Crystal 77L
0.5lb Crystal 45L
0.5lb Honey Malt
Hops
0.75oz Centennial
1.0oz East Kent Goldings
Yeast
1pkg US05 American Ale yeast

Just bottled yesterday. I poured a pint of warm, flat, green beer and it was DELICIOUS! This is easily the best tasting beer I've had on bottling day. I'm eager to experience this beer after proper carbonation and aging.

Beautiful copper color in the glass, straw color coming through the siphon hose. Aromatic of fresh grain, caramel and earthy/flowery hops. Medium body, earthy and slightly sweet finish.

Sooo good. Definite re-brew exactly like this, but I will also try the original 2-row recipe.

Back