Stupid weeks...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qhrumphf

Stay Rude, Stay Rebel, Stay SHARP
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Seems to be a recurring theme among a lot of folks this week. Crappy week for all. Not just on HBT either.

Last weekend, came down with the flu. Sunday and Monday were the worst. Also a smoker. That never helps. But keeps me from enjoying beer all week (I drank my share of em, but couldn't really appreciate anything). But then this stupid cough which usually takes forever to go away (again, smoker), but never really gets worse, keeps getting worse. So I go to the doctor tonight finally ready to admit it's probably not just the flu any more.

Sure enough, pneumonia. Pretty sure it qualifies as walking pneumonia, but still. Got my multiple bottles of different medications, and my stern lecture of "you need to quit smoking. Smoking is gonna make this a lot worse". Already knew that, thanks. That's why I tried cutting back from my usual pack+ a day to maybe 3 or 4 cigarettes a day. Just enough to keep me from getting stabby. Nope, not good enough.

So here I am. At least I'm armed with some handy narcotic cough syrup (among other stuff) that takes the edge off the sick, as well as the agitation, but it also means no alcohol due to possible interactions, not just cause I can't taste or smell it.

And no smoking. No beer, and no smoking. I'm trying not to punch holes in the wall. I guess if it actually gives me the kick in the ass I needed to finally quit (last time I tried didn't end well, I wasn't joking about stabby, just lucky the guy knew to stop pushing my buttons) it'll be worth it but #@$*#@(#%*(& this sucks!!!!!!!!

Dont forget, the physical withdrawal symptoms only last 72 hours (the worst 72 hours ever). If you make it past that, its all psychological.

Dont forget, the physical withdrawal symptoms only last 72 hours (the worst 72 hours ever). If you make it past that, its all psychological.

This is true.

Don't be a hero though. Go get the patch or the lozenge. No reason to live in nicotine withdrawal if you don't have to. The patch/gum/lozenge should not interact with the other meds, but you should check with your doctor on that to be sure.

Tobacco cessation is what I do for a living for the past 4 years. I'm also a former smoker. I remember feeling stabby. It sucks, but it gets better.

Also, beer tastes much better after you quit and get your sense of taste and smell back.

Nicorette has been making it a hell of a lot easier. Been trying to keep it to only when I need it (I know a few folks who've simply ended up swapping cigarettes for nicotine gum). Been almost 48 hours since my last cigarette. Don't know if it's meds doing their job or lack of smoking, but my lungs already feel a boatload better. I'm gonna go ahead and assume it's a little of both.

Good for you. Do yourself a favor and don't underdose with the lozenge. A good rule of thumb is that you get about 1mg of nicotine for each cigarette smoked. So if you're a pack a day smoker, your body is used to 20mg of nicotine daily. That's why the step one patch is 21mg. You want to take in at least what you were getting from cigarettes. If you don't you'll be in withdrawal, and stabby.

That seems like an alright plan. Plus it seems that I only need to worry about opiates and alcohol, not my other meds (other interactions are very very minor and only when taken to extremes). So beer is fine so long as it's not beer plus cough medicine together. And even then, it's not like I'm on morphine and drinking a lot anyway. So things seem to be working out alright. And back in the day I didn't have a problem mixing vicodin and tequila :drunk:

Had the tail end of the flu at the end of the week. Then Friday I got word that I have two Second interviews this week. One is with the CEO of the company. So... not too bad of a week so far. Hope everyone's gets better.

Qhrumphf said:
That seems like an alright plan. Plus it seems that I only need to worry about opiates and alcohol, not my other meds (other interactions are very very minor and only when taken to extremes). So beer is fine so long as it's not beer plus cough medicine together. And even then, it's not like I'm on morphine and drinking a lot anyway. So things seem to be working out alright. And back in the day I didn't have a problem mixing vicodin and tequila :drunk:

I could be wrong (happened alot more than once). But if I am recalling correctly I thought alcohol inhibited antibiotics. I'm not 100% but you may want to check as you don't really want to be halfway over being sick and counteract your antibiotics by having a beer or two. Again I'm not certain and am no way a certified medical practitioner.

Back