stupid rookie mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

threeporks

Reaction score
Well I bottled my first all grain batch on Sunday. 10 gal Pliny the Elder Clone. It tasted amazing uncarbed. The hop aroma was great and the slight malt upfront with a dry finish was incredible. The whole process was perfect until bottling day.

Beer smith calculated 4.76oz corn sugar per 5 gal to acheived 2.7carb, so I measured it out in a bowl on a zeroed scale. I turn my back for a second and my father-in-law dumps it into the bottling bucket. Of course the bottling bucket was wet from star san and already stuck to the bottom. I had the intentions of boiling this up but that was thrown out the window. I went ahead and siphoned from my secondary into the bottling bucket through a filtered funnel to help remove excess hop particles while gently stirring with a sanitized spoon.

I understand the infection risk but do you think stirring corn sugar in a 70 degree beer would sufficiently dissolve the sugar? I'm guessing it took about 5 minutes to drain 5 gallons using a 1/2 line. Am I screwed? Lesson learned the hard way I guess.

I probably would have boiled up a cup or two of water and added it to the sugar to dissolve it. But it might be ok the way you did it. I'd be concerned about racking through a funnel, though- that could oxidize the beer.

How soon would I notice the effects of oxidation? Would it be immediate? I'm hoping to carb then consume this all within a few weeks. Yeah in retrospect the filtered funnel was a dumb idea. Next time ill use a small hop bag on the inflow side of the racking cane.

I wouldn't worry about not boiling the sugar. You might have some unevenly carbed bottles, but there are kits out there (Mr Beer) that uses straight non-boiled sugar. Was it optimal, no, will it likely work, yeah.

Back