Stupid mistake, thought I killed my yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigsnake

Reaction score
Maybe this can serve as a warning to others.

Well, I mixed up a big bucket of No Rinse sanitizer using HOT water. Did it right before I finished up the boil so it had cooled down some but it was still very warm.

For some reason, I decided to sanitize the outside of my Activator pack. I usually just do a quick dunk in the sanitizer as I'm not too worried but today I tossed it in the bucket and walked away. Came back like 20 minutes later, picked it up and felt how hot the pack was! I pitched it into the wort right away (talk about temperature shock) and have been hoping for the best.

Brew is slowly bubbling today though about 15 hours after pitching. Hope all goes well but only time will tell.

Ouch! Well, at least it's bubbling so you dodged one there. I would have let it come down a bit in temperature before pitching, but it looks like it worked out well for you.

I'm now hoping it didn't stress the yeast too much to give me off flavors.

I was considering putting a brew I have in primary into a secondary and pitching some of the sediment from there. It's sitting on a similar strain of yeast but still has a good fermentation going.

I'm now hoping it didn't stress the yeast too much to give me off flavors.

I was considering putting a brew I have in primary into a secondary and pitching some of the sediment from there. It's sitting on a similar strain of yeast but still has a good fermentation going.

No. Leave the fermenting batch alone. You need that one to finish its work. If you did get some stressed yeast nasties in the starter they should get drowned out when you pitch into your main batch. You don't want to risk messing up another batch anyway. Keep your error in one place.

No. Leave the fermenting batch alone. You need that one to finish its work. If you did get some stressed yeast nasties in the starter they should get drowned out when you pitch into your main batch. You don't want to risk messing up another batch anyway. Keep your error in one place.

I meant I was considering doing that instead of pitching the pack of yeast that sat in the hot water, but didn't really want to do that because it was still fermenting.

Back