Stupid mistake - bottled too early...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scuba

Reaction score
Brewed an APA on 11/3. Racked to secondary on 11/11. For some inexplicable reason I thought today was my bottling day instead of next Tuesday like I had planned and I bottled today. So, what can I expect...besides "you're an idiot"?

Well, about the worst thing you can expect is bottle bombs. However, since you had already racked it to secondary I wouldn't worry about that too much.

I definitely wouldn't say "you're an idiot." In fact, a lot of people, including me, don't regularly use secondaries.

Yeah, due to impatience I bottled after 9 days in the primary on my first batch and it still came out great. RDWHAHB.

You should use a hydrometer every time. It will let you know when your beer is done. :)

This really is not true. Well, the first sentence is true of course :) but the second sentence is untrue. The SG stabilizes at FG well before the yeast is done doing its work. The hydrometer will only tell you when primary fermentation is complete. The beer still has secondary fermentation and clarifying to go through before it is done.

My beers stay in fermenters for at least two to three weeks after primary fermentation is complete.

If fermentation was done (I'm assuming it was mostly done, because you went to a secondary) then you're fine. If not you might have problems.

Relax and wait it out, you should be OK. Just let it age in the bottles a bit longer than usual.

This really is not true. Well, the first sentence is true of course :) but the second sentence is untrue. The SG stabilizes at FG well before the yeast is done doing its work. The hydrometer will only tell you when primary fermentation is complete. The beer still has secondary fermentation and clarifying to go through before it is done.

My beers stay in fermenters for at least two to three weeks after primary fermentation is complete.

:) I was referring to fermentation since he was worrying about bottle bombs.

I have to say that I define fermentation as not just all the sugars converted, but the entire yeast cycle is completed, which normally is two to three days after FG is reached.
But, hey thats just me. I do not want to change the temperature, rack or anything else until the yeast are done, did done, "get er done", etc.
After that, I go to secondary for conditioning, spicing, bright tanking, whatever.

My roomate bottled in 3(hes a genius) and it carbed in like 2 more. Everyone loved it suprisingly. Thats about when I took the all brewing reigns from him.

There's still yeast in the bottles, so it will condition, but probably a bit slower. Time fixes most things.

I would open a bottle in a few days to make sure they arn't over carbing. If it doesn't gush, you should be fine, if it does, search burping bottles.

im a proponent of always waiting at least four weeks after bottling to drink any beer, but your main concern here should be bottle bombs

they are not funny-they are EXTREMELY DANGEROUS

if your bottles are highly carbed after only a day or two, then they will become bottle bombs, i guarantee it

if they are carbing too fast, you can try and vent them (after sanitizing EVERYTHING) and recap them- john palmer recommends trying this, but it has never worked for me

some people say the 1-2-3 rule works, but i would make it the 2-3-4 week, personally- 2 in primary, 3 in secondary, 4 in bottles

i give you my 100% guarantee that the beer will taste WAAAY better if you wait at least four weeks

good luck

You'll more than likely be fine! When I first started brewing years ago, I would bottle after a week straight out of the primary. Never had bottle bombs, but may have just been lucky. Since you left it in the secondary for a bit, you should be even better off. I just recently started leaving my brews in the primary for 3 weeks, then bottle condition for 3 weeks. Turns out really well and allows you to skip handling from primary to secondary.

If it spent 8 days in primary, you're likely ok, but the precautions above- checking a bottle after a few days to make sure you don't overcarb- are the way to go if you're nervous about that.

some people say the 1-2-3 rule works, but i would make it the 2-3-4 week, personally- 2 in primary, 3 in secondary, 4 in bottles

i give you my 100% guarantee that the beer will taste WAAAY better if you wait at least four weeks

While I agree with all that is said there... I just don't have the patience! :cross:

I usually have it in the primary for 3-4 weeks, bottle, and start sampling after an additional 7 days. The beer definately improves with age.

I bottled an IPA (5 gal) after 7 days and turned out great. Maybe a little over carbonated, but no bombs.

You brewed on the 3rd and bottled on the 18th.
That's 15 days, you should be fine. The beer will taste a bit better if you would have waited but it will still be very drinkable. "The Complete, Joy of Homebrewing" even says two weeks is fine. I'll post the page number when i get home.

Back