stupid me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brackbrew

Reaction score
Like always, I find a way to make minor, but glaring error during a brew session. Yesterday, I brewed the franziskaner hefe clone and forgot to add the 2 oz. of malto dextrin in. From everything I've read, and from using it before, I know it's a non-fermentable added to increase body, mouthfeel, whatever. So what I want to know is, how big of an effect missing this 2 oz. of m-d is going to have on the finished product? Will it just have a little "thinner" body? Will the head not be as creamy?

As always, thanks for your help! and BREW ON:mug:

Primary 1--Franziskaner Hefe Clone (Wedding Brew #1)
Primary 2--Church of Chocolate Brown Ale--THANKS david_42! (Wedding Brew #2)
Secondary 1--Palilalia Pale Ale (kegging equipment trial brew)
Secondary 2--empty:(

The ale will have a little less body, but since MD isn't a fermentable, you can add it any time up to bottling.

Well, I'll be kegging this for my wedding. I guess the question I'm getting at is this, assuming my brewing technique was good, will I still have a good hefe beer without those 2 oz. of m-d?

BREW ON:mug:

Most certainly you will.

I've used MD in the past and I am not impressed with it. I can see where it would be useful if you are preparing to bottle and realize the beer tastes thin.

MD will thicken up a thin brew like using corn starch for making gravy.

From your self admitted bevy of brew mistakes, might I suggest you make a checklist before brewing your next batch and by all means do not move on to the next item until the last item is checked.

This is a good tip for any brewer that is either, a) Beginner, b) Brewing a complex(many steps and/or ingredients) beer, c) Like to drink alot of homebrew whilst brewing, or d) All of the above.

You have a checklist for your wedding now, don't you?

:tank:

Back