stupid car

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philmin9

Reaction score
The serpentine belt snapped because the water pump siezed. It wouldn't be such a tragedy if I wasn't on the way to brew with my girlfriend. There goes the cherry wheat

Should take an hour - hour and half. Quit whining get to work on it and save the brew day.

the fact that he said "water pump" makes me think it was the timing belt and not an accessory belt....

Not on every car . Most hondas and toyotas , the timing belt runs the w/p. Most us cars and trucks , the serpentine belt does , and don't hurt the timing belt

Yeah,most 4 cylinders have the timing belt run the wp. V6 on up have the serpentine belt as an accessory drive. Our V6's at ford have chain drives under the front cover that keep the cams & crank in time. Just like the old 427 SOHC motor.

Not on every car . Most hondas and toyotas , the timing belt runs the w/p. Most us cars and trucks , the serpentine belt does , and don't hurt the timing belt

oh, that's nice.

it should be mandated that every timing belt should actually be a chain, lol.

my bmw inline-6 had a chain. it was nice. so does my ford escape v6. i think....

The older cam in block V8's of my day were chain drive. Just dual row beefy chains. My sb cobra mustang had a Zoom double roller in it drivin a Shelby cam with Isky rods,etc. Def better,imo.

Or make all timing belt engines non-interference! If my timing belt breaks, I'll have to replace the whole short block.

cfonnes said:
Should take an hour - hour and half. Quit whining get to work on it and save the brew day.

I didn't say I wasn't fixing it, I was just bitching that it had to happen today, its going to push my schedule back a couple of hours.

ok well now i have to tell my timing belt story, lol

i have a mitsu galant I4. It passed 100k miles so i bought belt and pump to replace it. Well i put the job off for awhile (long while, lol...) and eventually at 117k miles it snapped. I immediately was so pissed at myself.

Took it home and checked it out. Instead of snapping completely, it had wrapped itself around the pulleys! so everything stayed in-time! replaced it and it's running fine.

I was thinking the timing belt tensioner might've gone south. Got the spring replaced in mine,& it's still good a few years later.

This is a good time to remind everyone with an interference engine and 100,000 miles that they might want to proactively replace the timing belt before they hose the motor.

I got a Jeep Cherokee 4.0L. My mustang will have a double roller. Not sure what the Durango uses, but I suspect a chain.

Contrary to popular belief,the FSDE 2.0L in my 2nd gen Probe is non-interference. But regardless,always replace the timing belt with the water pump & check the belt tensioner.

Contrary to popular belief,the FSDE 2.0L in my 2nd gen Probe is non-interference. But regardless,always replace the timing belt with the water pump & check the belt tensioner.

that's cause it's a Mazda motor!

i like mazda. they do neat things. i owned an RX7. i'm gonna stop typing now.

I love my 2nd gen probe. Sexy lookin lil corner burner with Tokico HP's & Tein S-tech springs,Sumitomo HTRZ's on 17" Kosie K1's. Looks cool & is good on gas. Also won best in class at the 2010 Midwest Mazdafest with it.

Back