stupid cable/internet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bengerman

Reaction score
so i live in a three bedroom house with my sister and neice.
until last week, my sister's boyfriend of four years also lived with us, so we'd been splitting the bills 4 ways, and have full cable, fastest internet, etc.
he moved out last week, so we're looking at paring down on cable and internet.

add to this the fact that our neighborhood just got annexed into Kirkland, and it's a huge ITA to shop for cable, and it looks like we really can only go with comcast. we haven't had any problems with them, and they have packages within our budget, but i always feel like i'm getting ripped off when there's only one company i can go with.

i personally don't feel like we need cable, we have netflix through the PS3 and wii, and we don't NEED to watch TV, but that's a whole other issue.

I killed my cable after the first month, and I do fine with only internet. I can download anything my heart desires. All the power to yeah!

I had the cable turned off a few months ago. I never really watched it a WHOLE lot, but it was enough. The problem was the kids. They would ignore chores and homework to watch TV. And all winter long, they would rather stay inside and watch TV than go outside with friends. So for everyone's benefit, the cable went. The first couple of weeks were a little uncomfortable, the daily routine was permanently changed. But after that, I don't even notice it. On occasion, I'll have caught up on all of the stuff around the house, and really have nothing to do. At that point it would be nice to turn on the tube and watch a ballgame or something, but that's no longer a choice and it doesn't happen often enough to justify even a basic package.

But I'm with you on not having a choice. If an area is monopolized, I feel kinda jaded against the situation as well. Have you considered satellite? I had that for a few years and it was rather infrequent that I would have problems. I think we only had storms big enough to knock it out maybe twice a year, and it was for only a few hours at a time. Snow would build up on the dish so I would have to remove it, until I found out that you could put a black plastic trash bag over the dish to keep the snow off. Minor hassles to compare with actually having a choice. Besides, I hate comcast for personal reasons and they used to be the only choice until AT&T got cable.

our house has a dish, but for some reason, dish network asks for my address and says they don't serve us. still leaves us with cable for internet, or clearwire, but they've been having big issues lately.

For what its worth, we switched to Comcast for cable and have been happy with it - much faster than the AT&T DSL we had.

our house has a dish, but for some reason, dish network asks for my address and says they don't serve us. still leaves us with cable for internet, or clearwire, but they've been having big issues lately.

That's very odd... I thought that if you had a clear view of the sky, you were set.

I have 'limited basic' cable, channels 2 thru 24.
But that lets me have roadrunner broadband, 20mbps download speed.

so i get the networks, WGN and TBS, and everything on netflix.

For $35 a month I get unlimited 4G wireless with CLEAR. No real service issues with them.

Digital TV with an off-air antenna = Free

Hulu = Free

Netflix online = $9 a month.

The only thing I really think I miss out on is ESPN. I wouldn't pay $50 a month just to have it + all the crap they bundle with it.

For $35 a month I get unlimited 4G wireless with CLEAR.

Digital TV with an off-air antenna = Free

Hulu = Free

Netflix online = $9 a month.

The only thing I really think I miss out on is ESPN. I wouldn't pay $50 a month just to have it + all the crap they bundle with it.

i'm staying away from clear for the time being. they've been in trouble for throttling lately, and i don't want to end up in that mess.

on the plus side, i found out that i can go with satellite. i was going through qwest's website before when it told me i couldn't get it, but if i got directly through dish network or directv's websites, i find that i can.
so, we're probably going to get directv with comcast internet, as it's the only non-CLEAR internet we can get at my house.

I pay way to much for phone, cable, and internet with Cox Communications. Seems like a thousand+ channels and nothing is ever on - go figure! That is, at least, until College FB starts in September.

I pay way to much for phone, cable, and internet with Cox Communications. Seems like a thousand+ channels and nothing is ever on - go figure! That is, at least, until College FB starts in September.

can't wait for football this season. my team (nebraska) moves to my local conference (big ten) this season, so i should be able to get more of the games without any extra packages

Back