Stupid bartenders

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, and that's still not as bad as the ******* who couldn't make me a margarita.

Me: I'll have a margarita on the rocks, please.
Him: We don't have a blender.
Me: Yeah, on the rocks is fine.
Him: We don't make girly drinks here.
Me: <Oh no he DINT!> Do you have tequila?
Him: <digging around and pulling out a bottle of Jose> uh, yeah.
Me: Do you have lime juice?
Him: Yeah...
Me: Can I have some tequila with a shot of lime juice? Over ice?
Him: Yeah, I can do that.

Effing jerk. :mad:

That's pretty funny, but you have to give him credit for trying

I totally give him credit - and he has been willing to sit and listen to me ramble out whatever new knowledge I gain about different types of beer, etc. It was just classic, given the popularity and prevalence of Yuengling at most bars I've been to.

You can get more brands of cigarettes at some bars than you can beer (let alone good beer).

Somewhere on the internets there must be a board for people who enjoy soft drinks complaining about waiters not knowing the difference between Sprite, 7up and Sierra Mist.

You can get more brands of cigarettes at some bars than you can beer (let alone good beer).

Somewhere on the internets there must be a board for people who enjoy soft drinks complaining about waiters not knowing the difference between Sprite, 7up and Sierra Mist.

THATS SOOOO TRUE!!!

When i use to waiter for Cracker Barrel (They don't serve alcohol) i had a funny "incident"

Me: Hello, welcome to cracker barrel, blah, blah, what can i get for you to drink?
Little girl: Dr. Pepper, please
Me: Oh, i'm sorry we don't have Dr. Pepper, but we do have Mr. Pibb!
*Mom gives a glance of fright to the little girl*
Little girl: No thank you then.
Me: Are you sure? It tastes similar.
Mom: We actually are Dr. Pepper connoisseurs.
Little Girl: Yeah, Dr. Pepper connoisseurs
Me: Alrighty then...

I could understand beer and wine, but C'MON!!!! DR. PEPPER CONNOISSEURS!!! :drunk::drunk:

This thread reminded me of something my borther said once, after coming back from college to visit.

Him: Have you tried that new cheap beer? It's not too bad.
Me: I dunno what's it called?
Him: I can't remember they just started selling it, I just found it a couple of weeks ago, its blue something.
Me: Pabst Blue Ribbon?
Him: Yeah!
Me: ROFL. Thats a good one, go tell dad.

My biggest pet peeve as a customer is frozen glasses. I was at a place this weekend, 24 taps, 200 bottles... I ordered Bell's Cherry Stout (was actually on tap for $1/pint) and it came in a frozen pint. A stout. Frozen.

As a bartender in a brewpub, I enjoyed this thread... I am going to have all of our servers/bartenders read it. Most beer geeks that come in are pleasantly surprised at how much I know about the beers we sell. But what else would I know about if I wanted to do my job right?

I've been there for over three years and have trained a fair amount of servers. I stress more than anything, "YOU WORK IN A BREWERY. KNOW YOUR BEERS!!!" I'm always happy to stay after hours and go through a sample flight and teach them. You get asked EVERYTHING about the beers, you have to know them. My favorite is girls that are hired who don't drink beer because it's yucky. 1) Don't apply to work at a brewpub, and 2) Learn the damn beers anyway. Know what you sell!!!

It also makes me a real prick when I am out at a local beer bar and the service knows nothing...

We went to Applebees the other day, and I ordered a Blue Moon (cause I'm doing wit style of beer at home) and the lady says they odnt' have it, but they have Oberon. Last time I had Oberon, I was nto impressed. But, I think I should try it again, and she brings it out WITH AN ORANGE IN IT!

I picked off the orange and drank it, and it was pretty good. I asked my kid's dance instructor, who worked for years as a waitress/bartender about fruit in beer, and she said, no, they should always ask before putting anything in the beer. Ok, so she's just not trained properly.

Last week went to Bennigans and I ordered another Oberon (we need more beers at our restaurants...) and the guy brings it out with an orange in it!!

Damn it! DON'T FRUIT THE BEER!

My biggest pet peeve as a customer is frozen glasses. I was at a place this weekend, 24 taps, 200 bottles... I ordered Bell's Cherry Stout (was actually on tap for $1/pint) and it came in a frozen pint. A stout. Frozen.

As a bartender in a brewpub, I enjoyed this thread... I am going to have all of our servers/bartenders read it. Most beer geeks that come in are pleasantly surprised at how much I know about the beers we sell. But what else would I know about if I wanted to do my job right?

I've been there for over three years and have trained a fair amount of servers. I stress more than anything, "YOU WORK IN A BREWERY. KNOW YOUR BEERS!!!" I'm always happy to stay after hours and go through a sample flight and teach them. You get asked EVERYTHING about the beers, you have to know them. My favorite is girls that are hired who don't drink beer because it's yucky. 1) Don't apply to work at a brewpub, and 2) Learn the damn beers anyway. Know what you sell!!!

It also makes me a real prick when I am out at a local beer bar and the service knows nothing...

I use to bartend too at this pretty upscale place that did a lot of wine tastings. They even once had a Macallen guy come over and do a Macallen tasting. (it was pretty cool I got to try some 50 y/o scotch that cost $5000 a bottle) Anyways, they let us taste the wine there also and taught us a lil bit about it. Point being as with anything........know your product :) Also, whoever said bartenders do not make a lot, I've had other bartender friends that would make upwards of $400 on a weekend night in tips at some bars.

^ Speaking of Applebees and Blue Moon, I ordered one there the other night and when I get the check it was $5.99 for it! wtf?

My biggest pet peeve about getting beers out is the price. How can they justify charging $4-5 for a nice import?

We went to Applebees the other day, and I ordered a Blue Moon (cause I'm doing wit style of beer at home) and the lady says they odnt' have it, but they have Oberon. Last time I had Oberon, I was nto impressed. But, I think I should try it again, and she brings it out WITH AN ORANGE IN IT!

I picked off the orange and drank it, and it was pretty good. I asked my kid's dance instructor, who worked for years as a waitress/bartender about fruit in beer, and she said, no, they should always ask before putting anything in the beer. Ok, so she's just not trained properly.

Last week went to Bennigans and I ordered another Oberon (we need more beers at our restaurants...) and the guy brings it out with an orange in it!!

Damn it! DON'T FRUIT THE BEER!

More times than not, if you order a wheat bear, it's going to come with fruit on the glass. Personally, I like it, but I understand why some people do not. If you have a strong preference, I'd suggest ordering it that way. The server is not a mind reader and I'd venture to say that there are more customers that are glad to have the fruit than ones ones who don't want it.

Same thing applies to frozen glasses. It wasn't long ago when I was extremely happy to see a frozen mug.

Blue Moon is a fancy beer in Applebee's. People in Applebee's who order Blue Moon usually *want* the orange slice because it makes them feel like beer snobs.

Frozen mugs are along the same lines. Most people drink BMC. They've been taught that BMC is supposed to be served just barely above freezing. Most people think that the beers that they see at their local gas station are just about all of the beers in the world. Therefore, they think that all beers should be served very cold, in frosted glasses.

I like the orange slice but I eat it separately. I don't squeeze it into the beer or anything.

Bah, I don't care either way. All it means is I'm getting a wheat beer.

And I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one underwhelmed by Bell's Oberon! I had heard nothing but raves but it wasn't anything spectacular.

I guess I figure if the people want fruit, then they can order it that way. You can't really take it out once you put it in. The smell and flavor sticks around. The guy at Bennigans offered to get me another one, but I just drank it. I didn't want to waste beer over something that small.

Frosted mugs are good for some beers. I've gotten to drinking some beer warm, but usually I enjoy it cold out of the fridge. It warms up pretty quick anyway.

LOL! Just reminds me that my father-in-law put ice in his beer this weekend (labatts). He said it was too warm. Then he threw it out. Said that didn't work cause it still tasted like crap! Stilll trying to get my friends to learn to like other beers. Starting with Belgian Wit. They all said they liked my homebrew version, so maybe there is hope after all.

I went out with a bunch of people from work last friday, and ordered a Mannys from Georgetown Brewing Company. The bartender sets this thing on the counter in front of me, it was a glass that was completely filled with foam, pouring out the top and over the sides of the glass. The glass was so cold that the beer was turning into something that resembled a slurpee as it moved down the side of the glass. By the time the foam died down, the head took up about 1/5 of the pint glass. Nasty.

I went out with a bunch of people from work last friday, and ordered a Mannys from Georgetown Brewing Company. The bartender sets this thing on the counter in front of me, it was a glass that was completely filled with foam, pouring out the top and over the sides of the glass.

Maybe it was the cryogenic glass, but there are an astounding number of people that don't know how to pour. They half-ass the tap handle so that only foam comes out - I had to help a dude at the airport (one of those private rooms where you help yourself to free beer) because he was just barely pulling the tap handle and kept dumping out foam. I think he felt silly.

If you don't know how to pour (you'd hope a bartender would get some basic training), it's not exactly intuitive that you need the tap fully open for a good pour. Instinct is - I'll just open the tap a LITTLE bit, so only a little bit of beer comes out and it flows into the glass gently!

Well, I didn't know how to pour from a tap.. Learn something new every day! Good thing you guys told me before i got my Keg system up and running!

THATS SOOOO TRUE!!!

When i use to waiter for Cracker Barrel (They don't serve alcohol) i had a funny "incident"

Me: Hello, welcome to cracker barrel, blah, blah, what can i get for you to drink?
Little girl: Dr. Pepper, please
Me: Oh, i'm sorry we don't have Dr. Pepper, but we do have Mr. Pibb!
*Mom gives a glance of fright to the little girl*
Little girl: No thank you then.
Me: Are you sure? It tastes similar.
Mom: We actually are Dr. Pepper connoisseurs.
Little Girl: Yeah, Dr. Pepper connoisseurs
Me: Alrighty then...

I could understand beer and wine, but C'MON!!!! DR. PEPPER CONNOISSEURS!!! :drunk::drunk:

Dr Pepper>Mr Pibb

Back