Stumped - How to pour beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nobadays

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in the process of planning a new build in the corner of my garage - brewery section for my eBIAB system, Fermentation chamber and a bar area complete with 4 tap kegerator. I'm pricing components for the kegerator - thinking of using a side by side fridge so I can have the freezer section for hops/grain....(and I can't lift kegs in and out of a keezer so that's out) ... and then it hits me!!!

I'm physically challenged (besides being morally dyslexic, that's a completely different thread for another forum!) I only have one arm... no stub no nothing just one arm. Right now my kegs are in an old fridge with picnic taps on them so I just set the glass down and angle the spout against the side and fill'er up. I was dreaming of those nice shiny taps - you know with the cool handles - four of them lined up on the front of my new side by side... but I can't tip/hold the glass AND work the handle at the same time. It's one or the other - blast beer into the sitting glass or stand there holding the glass wishing beer would magically come pouring out of the tap.

I got a dilemma! My only thought so far is to just drill holes so the picnic taps could protrude through the door and I could pull it out, fill up the glass, and shove the line back through... no shiny taps or cool handles.

Thoughts? Am I missing something? Is there another way? Ideas?

Help a guy out!
Cheers!

Use faucets without auto close springs and a shelf under the tap. Set the glass on the shelf, open the tap, pick up the glass to angle the pour, when it's almost full set the glass down and close the tap.

I think it's fantastic that having one arm is an after thought. I'm reminded of these Japanese machines I use when I'm over there.

You don't need the fancy automation, just a 2 position glass holder. An angled wooden stand then a second one that is vertical both at the same height. Glass consistency is easy to accomplish with pint glasses. There are guys here who could make you one in an hour

So put the glass on angled holder. Pull tap and fill to desired level. Close tap, reposition glass vertical. Pull tap

Last edited by a moderator:
Taps modified with a lever connected to the tap handles activated from below the faucet on the pull stroke. Use one handed same as the water and ice dispensers in the door of a fridge except these operate with a push of the glass.

Thanks for the replies!! Gonna figure this out!

Jorb - Hmmm, I was thinking "with" auto close springs -forward close- so I might lean my head against the tap handle to pour then just release. Just not sure a forward auto close faucet is even made?? Your method would certainly work but I envision a lot of foam. Maybe if the drip tray height was just right...

MidAtlanticBrew - And another good idea! If it pivoted and was spring loaded it could be just a one piece unit that could be pushed back as the glass fills - would need a catch for the upright position. Complicated but would work and save switching holders each fill. Yeah...I was wondering if you could hold the glass with a couple of fingers and hook your little finger around the tap to turn it on. I'm really dexterous with one hand...I need to try this if I can find someone local to let me.

flars - Hmmm... I can see this working. Use rear sealing, auto close taps. The bar you push against could be tied directly into the tap handle - I'm thinking a rod attached right to the handle coming vertically down the side of the faucet then bent horizontally creating a bar to push against... might just work!!

Thank you, Thank you!
Love all the ideas! Open to any others!! I might just have my shiny faucets and pretty handles yet!

Cheers!

So a little searching of the "interwebs" showed self closing - rear sealing (the handle to the back - I realize the seal is in the front) but no forward self closing that I could see. A couple of places carried this one - or similar: https://www.kegworks.com/self-closing-draft-beer-faucet-stainless-steel

Pretty sure they aren't Perlick quality but the few reviews were good... flars - your idea might be a winner!

Any more ideas?

Thanks All!!
Cheers!

So a little searching of the "interwebs" showed self closing - rear sealing (the handle to the back - I realize the seal is in the front) but no forward self closing that I could see. A couple of places carried this one - or similar: https://www.kegworks.com/self-closing-draft-beer-faucet-stainless-steel

Pretty sure they aren't Perlick quality but the few reviews were good... flars - your idea might be a winner!

Any more ideas?

Thanks All!!
Cheers!

Intertap faucets are very similar to perlicks and have an auto close function. They are sold on Williams brewing, however you do need to use their shank

https://www.williamsbrewing.com/INTERTAP-FORWARD-SEAL-STAINLESS-FAUCET--P4034.aspx

https://www.williamsbrewing.com/INTERTAP-TOWER-SHANK--P4150.aspx

https://www.williamsbrewing.com/INTERTAP-SELF-CLOSING-FAUCET-SPRING-P4151.aspx

I can't speak for the self close function but I personally like the Intertap faucets more than the perlicks. Plus they have interchangeable taps so you can add a growler filler or a stout faucet easily and cheap

EDIT: II just came up with a crazy good idea, however I need a drawing board, give me 1 hour

Last edited:
OK this is a real rough sketch.

I am a wood worker as another hobby and I would really like to try making this. Essentially it turns a standard beer faucet into a fountain soda style faucet, let me know what you think

20170311_132725.jpg

I have gotten Perlick Flow Controls.. you can open and adjust flow through the knob on the right hand side. You can completely shut off the flow!

I think something rigged up with a foot pedal would be sweet. Plenty of engineers on here, maybe if one of them has some time, they could figure it out.

OK this is a real rough sketch.

I am a wood worker as another hobby and I would really like to try making this. Essentially it turns a standard beer faucet into a fountain soda style faucet, let me know what you think

This looks cool to. Spring loaded to keep it closed. Nice.

Jodell - Yeah! I like the Intertap faucets...spring loading is perfect. (now I know what forward sealing is) They look like good quality faucets so I won't be stuck with cheapies.

Yep, your drawing was the same basic concept I was thinking - only I was thinking steel instead of wood. Actually a wooden handle with the push bar rod attached to it with a couple of bolts welded perpendicular to the rod fitted into corresponding holes drilled through the handle. I can barely "draw a beer" let alone sketch something on paper or I would!

I'm looking at going through a fridge door so the 4" shank with faucet @ $69.00 each is not a bad deal at all + $1.99 for the springs then rig up a "push bar" and Bob's you're uncle! We're drinking beer!

Getting excited! Was beginning to think I was stuck with picnic taps!

Cheers!

jmcquesten - Yep foot peddle would be cool...but a lot more engineering!

Had an Espresso shop ages ago...rigged the steam wand with a foot switch. It opened a solenoid in the steam line to the wand so just left the wand valve turned on and stepped on the switch when you wanted steam...worked great!

Cheers!

I don't have any ideas that are better than what's already posted, but wanted to chime and say you all are awesome! Would love to see what you end up doing! Cheers!

Tag this for interest

My cousin lives us. He has physical and mental handicaps do to illness as a child. He only has use of one hand/arm. He love root beer and I want to make it for him. Was looking a way to make the tap work for him one-handed!

Alright so here it is!
It's ugly as hell right now because it is literally just 2 pieces of scrap wood glued together, but it was 100% functional easy. I was even able to tip the glass as I was pouring to keep from foaming

Now it's just time to make it look pretty

20170312_180732.jpg

20170312_180107.jpg

20170312_180809.jpg

20170312_180837.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet!! Can't wait to see the finished project.... and get'em on my new taps...once they arrive!

Thank you so much for helping out... I had hoped for some ideas but hadn't expected someone to make them...goes way beyond!!!

Cheers!

My wife will tell you I love to fiddle and create things, this has been a fun project too!

Alright I finally get a day off tomorrow to crank these out. However I have changed a few things up. I realized with the push bar going below the tap there is no way to rotate the tap handle on unless it is out of the way. After a few drawings the easiest way to do this is the drill a hole in the tap and use either a winged nut or and knurled nut to attach it. Here is a drawing of what we are going for. Tomorrow as I am building I will add some pics and instructions for anybody who wants to do this as well

20170316_113405.jpg

Uh... glad you thought of that before building one or two! It was kind of an "Oh Right" moment when I read this post...you can't spin it on if there is a bar going alongside the faucet - duh! I probably would have built them then stood there with a dumb look on my face!

I picked up a nice 25cuft Amana side by side yesterday - a big one - from a guy in town, $150.00, the through door water and ice maker don't work...don't need em! The interior is big enough to hold 4 pin lock kegs - I use ball lock but also have 4 converted pin lock kegs which are a little bigger around. Tore it all down yesterday then built the platform in the bottom this morning and re-located the light which was low on the back wall and in the middle of the fridge. Now I have to build a bracket to hold the 5# Co2 tank up high on the back wall using existing holes that were used for the shelf supports...don't want to chance hitting anything by drilling new holes if possible.

My 16" wall mount drip tray comes today. The taps go through the back plate of the drip tray so the will determine where the holes get drilled in the door for the shanks. Lots of room in the door.

Excited! This wouldn't be happening without the collective ideas from this group and especially the ideas/work of Jodell! Thank you so much!

Cheers!!

This would be great if you had both arms, but too drunk to use both constructively at the same time. Good work, Jodell.

ok, work with me here;

Couldn't you angle the taps so they address the glass at the proper angle when the glass is vertical to gravity? Basically drill the kegerator(keezer) hole for the shank at an upward angle and mount the drip tray a little higher than usual so it doubles as a glass holder?

ok, work with me here;

Couldn't you angle the taps so they address the glass at the proper angle when the glass is vertical to gravity? Basically drill the kegerator(keezer) hole for the shank at an upward angle and mount the drip tray a little higher than usual so it doubles as a glass holder? you would have to get beveled washers on both sides of the wall to tighten the shanks down properly. I'm thinking wood spacers. cut a wood plug with a hole saw, cut the shank hole with a drill and cut the end off at the proper angle.

william_shakes_beer ... Likely that would work as well. Possibly just angle the tap so it pours against the side of the glass... Several different ideas on here, all that could work to some degree of success or another.

With jodell's idea I won't be limited to one particular glass...which is nice because my glass cupboard has 5 different glasses right now.

Thank you for the idea! You never know...simpler is sometimes better... But I'm really looking forward to these tap handles jodell is making!

Cheers!

Kegerator all set! Right now 4 taps but only set up for 3 kegs... I have to build a mount for the Co2 bottle or drill and put it out side the fridge to get 4 kegs in there. The Intertap faucets are nice! I can pour a beer by squeezing the glass between two fingers and using another to turn the tap on and off, fill till it comes up over my fingers to the top of the glass... that said not sure how many people will want to drink beers my fingers have been in :)

Here's a pick of the fridge...and My brew rig as I'm brewing a Hefeweizen right now!

Cheers!

Edit... pics always go sideways... do I need to hold my phone horizontal? Does anyone know?

...Thank you flars!!

Kegerator.JPG

Kegeratpr-open.JPG

Brew-Rig.JPG

Alright so here it is!
It's ugly as hell right now because it is literally just 2 pieces of scrap wood glued together, but it was 100% functional easy. I was even able to tip the glass as I was pouring to keep from foaming

Now it's just time to make it look pretty

Nice prototype. A couple thoughts:

First, as already noted, you need a way to attach that isn't screw on unless you make the adapter a 2 part solution.

The next level would be to make it attach to the faucet but have threads on top to attach the cool tap handles. That way you get the one handed operation, but you still have the fancy tap handles. I bring this up because I collect tap handles and like to put different ones on there. For some I have the correct handle, but for others I just put something cool on there (like my hand painted Bass or the antique brass Iron City handle).

Good luck.

Try resizing/cropping your photos to about 500 pixels × 500 pixels. Rotate the photos if they are horizontal in your photo editor to the vertical view position.

IMG_1788.jpg

Back