Stuff getting in boil pot during the boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcgrp

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm going AG!

I think I'm covering all my bases, but I have a question. This will be my first time brewing outside. Do any of you ever worry about stuff getting in your pot while you are boiling? I just did a quick boil of 7 gallons to test my burner today and noticed that while I was going along, outside stuff was getting in the pot. It was a little breezy. Putting the lid on the pot while it heats up will probably help, but what about during the boil?

I use a pizza screen from a restaurant supply store. It keeps bees and leave from falling in during the boil and lets the steam escape.

KeggleScreen.jpg

Pizza Screen, Aluminum, 18", Each

heh, sounds like I should RDW and HAHB

I think I'll look into the pizza screen, but I'm probably just being a little to anal, trying to get my first AG right.

One of my brew buddies insists that everyone in attendance when he brews toss one of their leg hairs into the boil.

75.jpg

I've had wasps fly into the beer. No problem. Dropped a screwdriver in there during chilling. No problem. Cat paw after chilling. No problem. I wouldn't sweat it.

All kinds of organic matter falls into our boils (leaves, twigs, probably some bugs, hopefully no leg hairs). If it's big, we'll try to get it out with a spoon. I love the screen idea.

As far as covering during the boil, my understanding is that some of the volatile compounds that evaporate during the boil can cause off flavors, but I doubt it would be noticeable. We only cover after chilling.

As far as covering during the boil, my understanding is that some of the volatile compounds that evaporate during the boil can cause off flavors, but I doubt it would be noticeable. We only cover after chilling.

It is DMS as mentioned above and is can most definitely be noticeable. It leaves a buttery flavor and an oily mouthfeel if I remember correctly. Grated you'll notice it more in a light Cream ale over a Robust Porter, but it's still something that is noticeable.

and correct me if i am wrong, but if you cover the pot during boil, you won't get any evaporation. sometimes the simplest answer is the best one...

I've had wasps fly into the beer. No problem. Dropped a screwdriver in there during chilling. No problem. Cat paw after chilling. No problem. I wouldn't sweat it.

How the heck do you drop a cat paw in your wort? Is it like a lucky rabbit's foot you hold while brewing?

I had to fish a moth out of the boil just the other night! And just the other day, after racking to my bottling bucket, I found a dead moth in the trub! Thats what I get for brewing outside at night.

It is DMS as mentioned above and is can most definitely be noticeable. It leaves a buttery flavor and an oily mouthfeel if I remember correctly. Grated you'll notice it more in a light Cream ale over a Robust Porter, but it's still something that is noticeable.

I thought DMS was that wonderful creamed corn flavor. Diacetyl is the oily/buttery and is a yeast byproduct. The reason for a Diacetyl rest in lagers since they are more likely to produce that, the yeast clean it up given time.

Had a firefly in my kettle last weekend. Lucky for him I had just started to heat the water, and it was still probably south of 100*F. I fished him out and he went on his merry way...

Bees, Leaves, .... Stuff. I fish it out if I can, if not don't worry.

David :)

I wonder if I'll ever be able to repeat tastes based on what lands in the boil. I'm quick to get them out, however some of my brews have had seed pods and leafs that I miss and stay in way too long. If I ever repeat a recipe, I will not be surprised if it doesn't turn out the same. I like the screen idea. So far I have been lucky because they all taste good. When you don't have houses to block the wind, everything finds the brew. Maybe I ought to make a Lambic out in the barn with dried chicken s**t filtered through pine planks. Salmonella comes to mind but hey, no, that's just nasty.

Back