Stuck, Underpitched?, from Duvel dregs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Esmitee

Reaction score
Experts please.

I did a 10 gal batch of a Duvel clone. I have brewed this a few times already.
This time I used the dregs from 4 bottles of Duvel. I used Homebrew Dads yeast calculator and did a .333 L 1 st starter, a 1.5 L 2nd, and a 3L 3rd witch I also over built by 1ooB cells, I used 1.085 as an OG. I did the step ups over 1 week.

My OG was 1.084 and I mashed at 154 f using a herms system. At flame out I dumped in 2 lbs belgian candi sugar and 1.5 lbs of table sugar.

I used a new 13 gal fermentor that I cant see through. Set the ferm temp to 66 f. About 10 hours later I had airlock activity. Not crazy, just bubbling. That lasted for about 3 days, then stopped. at day 2 I raised the temp 1 degree, and each day afterwards 1 degree a day till I'm up to 74 at day 10. At day 5 I gave the fermentor a little swirling to rouse the yeast.

I just did an OG check at day 10 and it was only at 1.074

Question is, do I dare lightly stir it up, Do I ramp up the temp up to say 78 f, Do I wait longer, Do I pitch additional good yeast ?

I know it should be down to being finished at around 1.015 or a tad lower.

At this point, I just don't wanta lose a 10 gallon batch. I have a pack of safale 05 a a pack of safbrew S 33 I could pitch.

I also have some 1388 wyeast, but I'd have to make a starter and step it up. Do I have time for that?

:mug:

Duvel is a pretty high abv beer to be harvesting from. The yeast are not likely to be in great health. The Duvel yeast is available commercially, so in the future I would use that. For this one I would pitch fresh yeast.

Duvel is a pretty high abv beer to be harvesting from. The yeast are not likely to be in great health. The Duvel yeast is available commercially, so in the future I would use that. For this one I would pitch fresh yeast.

Yes I know it available, and I have some golden strong ale yeast, I just thought it would fun and a good experiment to use the dregs.I also read on here and other sites that Duvel don't use different yeast in the bottle conditioning. I also read that many used the dregs and had very good results. I think, I just didn't culture enough of the yeast and it is way underpitched. I never ran into this problem before and know of a few way to possibly fix it, as I asked about above. I just made a starter from the 1388 Golden strong ale yeast tonite and plan to step it up over the next few days. I just hope I have enough time to add it with out this batch going rancid? I figure it should be ok for another 5 days till I add it? Time will tell.

Any other ideas?

Back