Stuck stout and wine yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianpablo

Reaction score
I've got a Peace Crack Coffee Stout that I fermented with US04 from 1.062 to 1.020 that seems about stuck where it is. That seems a shade high to for a stout of this gravity, I think I'd want to knock at least five points off of it. My usual method of dealing with this - rack onto another cake - won't be an option until my batch of RyePA that just went in today goes into secondary (I would guess ten days at minimum).

I do, however, happen to have a container in the fridge holding yeast from a one-gallon batch of Cabernet Sauvignon that I racked a few days ago. That yeast is only a few days old, is accustomed to a very high alcohol environment, and is probably pretty hungry. I'm curious if anyone's ever heard of this sort of thing working. In general I'd prefer not to attempt some loopy experiment if there's no history of it functioning.

This stout is the first brew I did after a strain of infections, so I was hoping to give it the "brew it quick and drink it quick" treatment just to be on the safe side. Thoughts welcome.

I don't know a whole lot about wine or wine yeast strains, however I know that flavor profile from yeast mostly comes from the first 30-50% of fermentation, so according to that logic there should be no harm in doing this just to knock a few points off your FG. I'd say go for it

Back