Stuck mash, Hot side aeration?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zach1288

Reaction score
I had a stuck mash tonight and had to blow into the hose of the mash tun a bunch of times to get it flowing again. Should I worry about hot side aeration?

Thanks,
Zach

No. Everything I've read or heard recently is that HSA is pretty much a non issue - particularly at the homebrew scale. I wouldn't worry about it.

The mash isn't even particularly hot. Nothing to worry about here except trying to figure out why it stuck so that it won't happen again.

Does anyone know any research about HSA? I get paranoid about it, yet it kind of seems like one of those things that somebody just proposed 'might' be an issue without ever actually proving it.

Peppers16 said:
Does anyone know any research about HSA? I get paranoid about it, yet it kind of seems like one of those things that somebody just proposed 'might' be an issue without ever actually proving it.

I do not know of any "research" that you could check out.
But the research that I stand by is numerous posts from very knowledgable members on this forum that have said that HSA is a debunked myth and not to be worrie about in home brewing.

Enough evidence for me.

I had a stuck mash recently that was STUCK. It was a 10 gallon batch, so I had 23 pounds of grain over 8.5 gallons of liquid- and it was stuck bad. I have a bottom draining MLT and I had to dump out all of the contents into a bin, and I still couldn't unstick it as it clogged up the plumbing under the MLT! It was a huge mess, and I ended up pouring the mash back into the MLT after I finally blew out the grain in the plumbing.

So the mash splashed badly more than twice, and even then I had blown up into it also more than once.

No problems at all with a flavor impact (I'm drinking it at this moment as a matter of fact), but I hate this damn beer as a result. I can barely drink it. {burp :D}

You crack me up Yooper!

Sorry to hear about the clog.
Glad you had beer to soothe the pain!

Back