Stuck Gravity Feed Through Plate Heat Exchanger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surfmase

Reaction score
Hi,

Here is a picture of my setup at knockout.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/basement-brewery-and-bar.687564/#post-9022356
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/attachments/1d6e7095-88c3-4a65-8a1c-3b8a43c9bf0f-jpeg.709524/
I usually gravity feed through my filter and plate HX into the fermentor. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I have the feeling that I'm getting an airlock somewhere. If I tilt and shake and wobble until my nerves are shot I sometimes still cant get a flow. Last time I just skipped the HX and chilled in the fermentor. That might be the easiest option anyway.

But I was wondering if anyone else has figured out a trick to this? I've seen pictures of setups with the wort filter and HX affixed to the table/stand and wonder how they don't have problems. I've considered filling the HX with sanitized water to see if the syphon continues, but I can't imagine the whole filter being evacuated of air. Maybe I'm wrong, or it doesn't matter.

Cheers

Holy Dead Volume Batman!

A few tips, if you can't ditch the filter keep it as vertical as you can so that you can drain it better. Have the wort outlet side of the plate chiller tipped up just a little bit so that you can purge the air out of it easier.

And as mentioned by @Dr_Jeff use the pump! Kettle > pump > Filter > Chiller > fermenter. Throttle down the pump outlet to keep your flow within target.

Thanks for the suggestions guys

I have also made various attempts with the pump and haven't found a reliable method yet. I suspect a vapor lock between the dip tube and filter/HEX is being caused by some amount of wort in the lower HEX plates. I also thought vertical or HEX outlet upward would be best for purging the air...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_lock
I want to keep the filter for keeping trub out of the HEX and out of the fermenter. Outside of flow problems I am very happy.

Actually this tipped configuration in the photo was one of the best attempts yet. Once the kettle is empty I can usually tip, rotate and finesse almost everything out of the filter and HEX, so lost wort is rarely a problem.

I guess I'll give a few more goes using the pump and keep working on the position.

Increase the angle that the wort strainer/filter is at. Close to vertical, if not vertical, with the inlet at the bottom.
Like this:
PXL_20210912_150651919.jpg

I got mine from Brewers Hardware and the recommendation is to have the outlet as close to vertical as possible. This will allow it to fill up and any trapped air to escape through the system.

BTW, you can increase the cooling performance of your plate chiller by opening up the valve from the kettle to full, and having another on the wort out side of the chiller. I run the cooling water at maximum speed through the chiller, but reduce the flow out of the chiller (after it gets hit with the O2 stone) to increase dwell time inside the chiller.

Once my new plate chiller arrives, I'll probably be posting my current one up for sale. ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back