Stuck for the moment.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chossy

Reaction score
So I am stuck at 20 began at 55 with safale 05, it was way way too hot to begin with :( so I had lots of activity at the start.

It has been stuck for 5 days, 2 days ago I agitated it and am trying to gently get the temperature up, but if this remains like this for another week what are the dangers of bottling this at 20? is the higher gravity going to be unfermentable sugars so I shouldn't worry.

Timescale

1 week then stuck at 20 I plan on leaving it for one more week so 2 weeks and 5 days total.

I am pretty sure I just need to get it up to temperature and it will be fine but if it is indeed not going to get past 20 am I not able to bottle it... or will the additional carbonating sugars be the only thing that ferments?

AG

re-pitching, with what? I have some muntons english ale yeast, should I whack a wee pinch of that in? Or is there a way to scoop out some from the bottom and whack that in? I'm new to this so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks allot. Also is the 20 going to blow my bottles up if it's bottled?

I agree with Denny on the temperature shock might have caused the yeast to drop out. But without knowing what you brewed we can't tell if you have unfermentables or not. What was your recipe/mash schedule etc.?

From memory, 4 kilos pale, .5 kilos vienna 1 kilo biscuit. Plus a handfull of brown candied sugar in the boil.

Also 60 mins mash 66c batch sparge.

I'm not sure how much of the candied sugar is unfermentable but everything else looks like it should ferment closer to 10. I've had good success just bringing the temperature up in the fermenter and rocking it a bit to restart a stuck fermentation.

Cool, I am waiting for a heat pad to arrive so hopefully this will help get her going again, all my others have dropped below 10 no probs. It will be as you say the temperature has probably totally pooed it up :(. Lets see how she gets on in a week.

Cheers

Regarding the yeast if I do decide to re-pitch.... how much should I whack in?.... it's between 15 and 20 litres, should I whack in the full amount or is there a recommended amount to fire in.

Thanks again for all the help brurus (gurus) :D

Latest posts

Back