Stuck fermintation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EnjoyGoodBeer

Reaction score
Got a BB kit belguim triple its been in primary for about 4 weeks and my hydrometer reading is 1.031. I have made another post on general beer discussion, wich yooper responded about 2 weeks ago. Im understanding that I'll need to make a starter? If I do this what yeast? And how much?

Heres what I used so far http://www.brewersbestkits.com/pdf/1044_Belgian_Tripel.pdf

Thanks fellas.

I've heard Wyeast 3787 and WLP550 are good choices. Best to get a Belgian strain and they tolerate higher ABVs. There are a bunch of pitch calculators online to help you out with the amount for a starter. If you went with a Wyesat smack pack, especially since you have things sort of started, you may not need to make a starter, though that typically is not best practice. What was your OG, how far has it come so far?

twistr25 said:
I've heard Wyeast 3787 and WLP550 are good choices. Best to get a Belgian strain and they tolerate higher ABVs. There are a bunch of pitch calculators online to help you out with the amount for a starter. If you went with a Wyesat smack pack, especially since you have things sort of started, you may not need to make a starter, though that typically is not best practice. What was your OG, how far has it come so far?

Im not sure im at work and my notes are at home. But sense it was done with a kit you would be able to tell from the link I posted.

Right now im reading 1.031

Kit says 1.085ish and the FG target is 1.020. If you repitch you may get those extra points out. I can't think of any reason off the top of my head for it to stay high, especially in extract, unless maybe you used too much water? But I would have to say I might not be surprised if you don't get all the way down either. Good luck though!

twistr25 said:
Kit says 1.085ish and the FG target is 1.020. If you repitch you may get those extra points out. I can't think of any reason off the top of my head for it to stay high, especially in extract, unless maybe you used too much water? But I would have to say I might not be surprised if you don't get all the way down either. Good luck though!

So how should i go about a repitch? Buy some belguim yeast and pitch, or get a starter going then pitch?

Would suck that kit was 48 bucks, and im sure they just gave me bogus yeast. That was my 5 or 6 batch. Got 7 batches dpne total.

Stuck fermentations are a bummer. It is difficult to get fermentation going again; and virtually impossible to get the gravity all the way down to where you wanted it. Most of the important steps to take, to deal with poor attenuation, all need to happen before you pitch the yeast.

The things you can try now: swirling, repitching, temperature control.

If the yeast all dropped out, say, due to cool temperatures, you can try warming the carboy and giving it a good swirl to re-suspend the yeast. Belgians are often fermented with temps that gradually ramp up to the upper 70's as fermentation progresses. So that's one thing you can try.

The recipe sheet mentions "1 sachet yeast". This is a flashing red warning light - you can't really do a Belgian beer without Belgian yeast. I'd scan the recipe database here and see what people use in their trippels - I've heard good things about WY3711. So you could try making a big starter and pitching that. But realize that the conditions that promote healthy yeast production have long since gone away, since most of the sugars and oxygen are gone and alcohol has taken their place.

Good luck!

I took my primary up to 70 two weeks ago and swirled it around for about 1 min. Again this was 2 weeks ago, i just took a hydro last night and my fg is still the same 1.031. Its still sitting at 70 to 71 dagrees, but its stuck.

My final advice is to bottle it, enjoy it, and start planning your next attempt.

I did a milk stout once that finished at 1.034. It may not have been great, but it was definitely good, and everyone liked it.

Cheers!

frazier said:
My final advice is to bottle it, enjoy it, and start planning your next attempt.

I did a milk stout once that finished at 1.034. It may not have been great, but it was definitely good, and everyone liked it.

Cheers!

I can bottle that with that high of a FG?

I already got an imperial blond ale going too. Gonna check on that soon

I brewed this as my first batch and also finished around 1.031 after 4 weeks & pitching 1 pack of Safbrew T-58. I was also worried & proceeded to call my LHBS (hadn't found this sight at that point). He told me not to worry about it & that this kit had alot of unfermentables (his words). I proceeded to bottle & have yet to have any bombs (I'm at about 4 weeks in the bottles now & keeping them at room temp in AZ around 78°). I'm not saying you dont have a stuck fermentation or not to listen to everyone else, just letting you know I experienced the same thing. Maybe just try bottling a couple & letting the rest condition to see how it goes. Btw, mine have been very slow to carbonate as well! Tastes good tho! Good luck!

I wouldn't quit at 1.031, when the kit claims 1.020, and below 1.014 is BJCP standard. I would make a starter with a liquid Belgian yeast strain on a stir plate if possible. Let the temperature rise as it wants if fermentation kicks back off.

Im leaning on getting some DME and a yeast and attempting my first starter, I however dp not have a stir plate, but im home often enough to give it a shake a few times an hour. After im home from work that is.

EnjoyGoodBeer said:
Im leaning on getting some DME and a yeast and attempting my first starter, I however dp not have a stir plate, but im home often enough to give it a shake a few times an hour. After im home from work that is.

Every now and then is 100% better than never.

EnjoyGoodBeer said:

If you are the slightest bit handy make a stirplate. You probably have some, if not most of what you need around the house. Otherwise everything minus the magnets and wall wart (plug) can be purchased for under $50 at Radio Shack. I've never made anything electrical before, but with a little research online to make sure I got the wiring right it only took me about an hour to make. If I weren't on my phone I would pat some links, but if you search for DIY stirplate you'll get plenty of results.

Tip: if you don't have experience with a soldering gun get some crimp on quick disconnects. They make wiring a breeze.

Brirhon said:
Hey EGB,

Any update on how your beer finished? Just curious on this end.

Thanks,

Brian

Yeah so far it finished up been carbing for 3 weeks or so (?) in my basement at 63 bit on the cooler side. The beer is very drinkable but its pretty sweet dont really care for it. But im sure if they last a wile they might tast better in a few months.

But I'll probably drink them all by then :) got about 6 different batches and I dont like drinking same brews over and over again.

BB kits are decent on everything except the yeast. Big brews need big starters typically. My first was brew was a BB RIS stout kit. I did everything according to instructions and it was a real chore just to get it down to 1.020.

Lesson learned. I just recently did a tripel that I pitched with a 3L starter of WLP500. Bam! Went from 1.085 down to 1.012 in 5 days.

Caveman3141 said:
BB kits are decent on everything except the yeast. Big brews need big starters typically. My first was brew was a BB RIS stout kit. I did everything according to instructions and it was a real chore just to get it down to 1.020.

Lesson learned. I just recently did a tripel that I pitched with a 3L starter of WLP500. Bam! Went from 1.085 down to 1.012 in 5 days.

I agree with that. I have not done a starter yet, I just bought everything for a starter last week.

Altho I also brewed a BB kit of an Impetial Blond (8-9abv) and that one had no problem with a dry pitch. Im just assuming that they gave out sh:tty dry yeast for the triple. Wich should have encluded a belgian yeast. I know if i do something similar next time i'll get better yeast and make a nice starter.

I also got a few things to wash my yeast but thats a different story. (after buying a smack pack for 7 bucks)

Back