Stuck fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dhm8484

Reaction score
So on Saturday I brewed a IPA and pitched yeast around 5 pm on Saturday. There was no airlock activity till Sunday night around 11:30 pm.

When airlock was active, it wasnt crazy but a steady consistent bubbles. Today I check which is Tuesday and the airlock as stopped bubbling, this is my 5th batch and never had this happen before.

I used saf.05 yeast, pitched around 70 ish and fermented at 67 first time using the Fermwrap heater and ink-birds. When should I take a FG reading? Thanks in advance.

So on Saturday I brewed a IPA and pitched yeast around 5 pm on Saturday. There was no airlock activity till Sunday night around 11:30 pm.

When airlock was active, it wasnt crazy but a steady consistent bubbles. Today I check which is Tuesday and the airlock as stopped bubbling, this is my 5th batch and never had this happen before.

I used saf.05 yeast, pitched around 70 ish and fermented at 67 first time using the Fermwrap heater and ink-birds. When should I take a FG reading? Thanks in advance.

ink-birds? what is that?

Take a gravity reading when ever you feel like it. Forget the oxygen police.

ink-birds? what is that?

Take a gravity reading when ever you feel like it. Forget the oxygen police.

Inkbird is a brand of controller. He's using it to control the temperature of the fermentation.

The yeast was pitched at 5PM Saturday. That means the yeast didn't start fermenting until sometime Sunday. Today is Wednesday. It isn't done yet so don't bother taking a hydrometer reading. Try a hydrometer reading on Saturday and another on Monday or Tuesday to see if the gravity of the beer has quit going down. Then ignore it until next weekend to let more yeast settle out. If you're too busy that weekend, wait until you have time. A couple months in the primary fermenter won't hurt the beer.

Yes I usually wait a week before I check but it usually has more activity​, yes it took about 30 hours before it started to bubble.

I will take a reading when I dry hop on Saturday, I have a Stout conical fermenter so I not transferring to secondary just going to empty trub from bottom and then dry hop.

So today Thursday, I took a reading and it's only down to 1.030ish range, has been in fermenter since Saturday night like I said, I looked inside of airlock hole and there's still alot of foam in there

I'd probably throw another packet of 05 in there and/or warm it up a degree or two. While 1.030 is going to be really sweet for an IPA when I've added yeast to a stuck/disappointing gravity beer it seems to do more harm than good. I had a stout stop at 1.029, but it tastes good so I'll live with the 3.8% beer. What was the OG? If the OG was high the yeast might be all done. I'd say if you're happy with its taste, just gently swirl and/or warm it up. If you think it's too sweet, throw in another 05 pack and hope it gets to sub 1.020.

You had a 30 hour lag time - so your beer has really only been fermenting from late Sunday - Early Monday morning. 4 days so far. Leave it alone for another 3-10 days then take your gravity readings. IMO this is a pretty normal fermentation so far.

Like someone else pointed out there was roughly a 30 hour lag time before I started seeing any action. It started around 1.074, I would think the kit would come with two packs of yeast but it didnt

Took another reading on Sunday morning was at 1.024 down from 1.030, the foam is almost all gone I'm going to let it go till at least Tuesday or Wednesday then try another readying suppose to get down to 1.019

S0-5 is usually a solidly attenuative yeast. There's no reason for it to "peter out" because it has a high alcohol tolerance.
You can get S0-5 to an ABV over 10% by "feeding"your tired yeast.
Simply add some yeast energizer or nutrient (DAP, Fermaid) to warm sterile water with dissolved light LME/DME, then add the contents to the fermenter. Mazers or mead-makers do this all the time

I typically use liquid yeasts but have been known to do starters with dry yeasts when fermenting high gravity worts. Underpitching a high gravity wort can give you a headache, but Fermentis/Safale dry yeast cell counts in their 11.5gram packets are usually on the high side. Even a .5liter starter with one packet is more than enough cells for a 5gallon wort at 1.050 or below.

I took.another reading was at 1.020 only 1 point off from Target so I went ahead and dumped the trub and all and dry hopped

Back