Stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lee9923

Reaction score
stuck fermentation.jpg

Attached is a photo of my stuck fermentation. It is clearly an infection of some kind that is retarding the yeast. What is it? How can I correct it, and can I save this wine? Thanks, [email protected]

No, that looks like a serious infection, due to the huge headspace in the bucket. If it tastes ok, go ahead and drink it up before the flavor turns.

I'm really not sure if you want to even try to save that one, although I wouldn't mind some more information. How long has it been since the yeast was pitched? What was the gravity before? Whats the gravity now? It looks infected so far but I need more information...

WOW! That had to be in there for a while! I agree with Yooper, that is mycoderma on top of the wine from too much head space and not stabilizing the wine, I would bet that it smells pretty bad.
I don't think that there is much hope in saving that wine, I would be really surprised if it didn't smell putrid at this point.

Friends, Thanks for the info. The photo is only of a bucket of lees to show the infection clearly and this juice has since been discarded, but the wine I would like to save is in carboys with vented vapor seals that also have a milder version of this infection. This wine tastes and smells good, but will not ferment, even after further camden treatment and reyeasting with nutriants. Sp gr is 1.004,, alco 4%. It tastes acidic, but I don't have an accurate acid measurement. I even goosed it with a little sugar, but still no go. Any other suggestions?? Lee

Back