Stuck fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rel322

Reaction score
Hey, I brewed my first AG missed the og with 1.048. Pitched with dry yeast. I'm used to kausen leaving marks 3-4" up the wall of the fermenter. It's been a week and all I've gotten is a few bubbles and the yeast has settled to the bottom. My turkey bastor isn't long enough to grab a sample for readings. What should I do? Repitch, swirl with a sanitized stick?

As you see bubbles are few (they're still going just extremely slowly) and yeast is at the bottom.

image.jpg

You need an actual gravity reading before any information can be gleaned. Comparing krausen patterns among different yeasts cannot judge how a fermentation has proceeded.

BigPerm is right. Just because you don't see vigorous activity doesn't mean the yeast aren't doing their job. I also don't think lower OG is inhibiting your fermentation.

Update:
So I checked the Gravity today. 1.012 making it so far 4.7% abv. So I assume that means the yeast's eating away. The recipe calls for a second fermenter after two weeks for a week. It's coming up to two weeks, should I transfer when it hits to a second or should I leave it in the first?

Back