Stuck Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will b

Reaction score
Kinda messed up when doing this one. added too much water to wort during boil and tried to balance it by adding more extract, and forgot to get an OG reading before I pitched the yeast. It was a three gallon batch with about 7lbs extract and specialty grains. I transferred to secondary after 9 days. There was a lot of activity early on and then died down to what seemed like none. When I racked the beer was very clear and all the yeast had dropped. There seems to be no activity at all, no bubbles in airlock and no bubbles or foam at top of wort. There is also a thin layer of yeast at the bottom of carboy. I took a reading and it was 1.025. Since I don't know what the og was I don't know if the Alc.% is just too high for the yeast I used (white labs American Ale) or if it's just stuck. Contemplating repitching with a more tolerant yeast. Any Ideas?

If you used liquid malt extract in three gallons, the og would have been 1.084. For DME, the og would have been 1.102. Either way, your beer is done! I don't know the attenuation of your yeast, but it's at around 68% if you used LME, and 73.6% if you used DME.

sounds good but I'm worried about not having enough yeast left for carbonation.

I'd agree, the batch is done. The American ale yeast can handle 10%.

It is just about impossible for a homebrewer to NOT have enough yeast available for carbonation. Even highly flocculate yeasts don't drop out completely.

Sounds good, I actually used both liquid and DME for this one. I guess I'll let it sit a week or two in secondary the bottle.

Well, I went against the collective wisdom and decided to re-pitch some dried yeast. The last sample I took was pretty sweet so hopefully this will knock it down a little. The yeast almost immediately formed a krausen and now there is activity in the airlock. We'll see what happens.

Back