Stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandallT

Reaction score
Well, this has not happened to me before. Friday I started a gallon of Hansen's Apple-Strawberry using Red Star Montrachet yeast. After around six hours I saw no activity so I threw in some yeast nutrient. Yesterday I had some pretty strong activity and now it has almost completely died out. Any help for me?

I wouldn't trust your eyes to know if fermentation is happening. Use your hydrometer. Take a reading now, wait three days and take another reading. If there is no change, then you'll know that the yeast have stopped, and you'll know how far through the sugars they got. If your second reading is lower than your first, then you'll know the little yeasties are still eatings those sugars.

Pappers,
Thanks for your response. Since I haven't before used this combination I was staring at it this evening thinking, "There's not enough sugar in the mix". I went to the cupboard and measured out a cup of white sugar and poured it in. Voila! Ten minutes later I have krausen and renewed activity. There it is.

Back