Stuck Fermentation/under pitched?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jramses

Reaction score
I brewed an ESB using BIAB for a three gallon batch
My total starting water volume was around 4.75 gallons to compensate for boil off and trub and was aiming for 3 gallons

Recipe
5.75 lb of marris otter crisp
5oz of special roast
3oz crystal 120
1oz chocolate
3 oz of acid malt

Mashed at 152 for 1hr

Hop schedule ( if this matters at all)
.2oz Magnum 60min
.2os EKG 30 min
.25 EKG 0min
.5oz EKG dry hop

I was aiming for an OG of 1.060 and ended up with 1.068 [emoji28]

Yeast was wyeast 1469 that was packaged in June.

I always make a starter but I had to brew on such short notice I didn't have time to make one. They said I should be fine so I went ahead without one.

Took the first reading 5 days later and it was at 1.028!

Yeast hasn't fully dropped out yet but Im sure it's basically finished. Note that it started fermentating around 12 hrs later since pitcing and never got a layer of Krausen.

I tried to keep the fermentation temperature under 70 which I did so I'm wondering if I should repitch another smack pack of the same yeast or call it good

Thoughts?

Pitched Sunday afternoon. I did the math and only got 57% attenuation :(

Give it time. I believe most English strains are highly flocculant, and I would probably try to swirl the fermentor to rouse up some yeast to finish off those final points. Check a gravity at two weeks, but I think you'll be find IMO.

Give it time. I believe most English strains are highly flocculant, and I would probably try to swirl the fermentor to rouse up some yeast to finish off those final points. Check a gravity at two weeks, but I think you'll be find IMO.
I'll give it a shot. will take another reading in week . Thanks [emoji482]

Latest posts

Back