stuck fermentation, re-racking onto a yeast cake.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgregg

Reaction score
So I brewed a batch of an english mild a little over a month age. It took almost 3 days for any sign of fermentation, then I got a good krausen that lasted for less then a day. I let it sit in the primary for another 11 days(2 weeks total) then transferred it to secondary for another 12 days. I needed my secondary and my hydrometer was broken so I racked it into a keg and carbed it. Now it is super sweet. My new hydrometer arrived and I'm at 1.018. I wanted to be at 1.008 or so.

I have a similar beer fermenting now and I'm wondering if it's worth trying to rack the beer out of the keg and onto the yeast cake from the new batch when I transfer it to secondary. Any chance fermentation might pick up and that my beer can be saved by doing this?

So I brewed a batch of an english mild a little over a month age. It took almost 3 days for any sign of fermentation, then I got a good krausen that lasted for less then a day. I let it sit in the primary for another 11 days(2 weeks total) then transferred it to secondary for another 12 days. I needed my secondary and my hydrometer was broken so I racked it into a keg and carbed it. Now it is super sweet. My new hydrometer arrived and I'm at 1.018. I wanted to be at 1.008 or so.

I have a similar beer fermenting now and I'm wondering if it's worth trying to rack the beer out of the keg and onto the yeast cake from the new batch when I transfer it to secondary. Any chance fermentation might pick up and that my beer can be saved by doing this?

Maybe, but it's probably done. What was the mash temp? Generally, a low OG beer such as mild starts at 1.037 or so, and is often done fermenting in a day or so.

I have done few of the Scots beers and none have went below 10.14 and they can ferment fast depending on Temps.:)

Latest posts

Back