stuck fermentation - maybe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

endorphine44

Reaction score
So I brewed a Grand Cru from MW back on Feb 18th. I was going to bottle Monday, but when I got around to checking the SG it was still at 1.022, but should have been 1.012.
It had been hanging out around 64 degrees during fermentation, so I bumped it up to 70 degrees. Today my SG is 1.018.

Could that be from the temp change or should I re-pitch with the extra pack of SAFBREW S-33 I have here?

This is the first kit I've had stop high, all of my previous MW kits have finished right where they should.

The correction on my hydrometer shows 0.001 for the first 6* from 60*f and another 0.001 for the next 6*. For instance a reading of 1.025 at 72* would be corrected to 1.027 at 60*.

You changed 6* so I would guess you can blame 0.001 on the temp change. The other 0.003 are attributable to something else - fermentation, misread, etc.

Thanks, that helps clarify the readings a little. I'm certain I had a correct reading both day so my biggest concern is if I should re-pitch and give it another week to finish or just bottle it and call it a day.

Started at 1.064 & 75 degrees, Monday was 1.022 & 64 degrees, Wednesday was 1.018 & 70 degrees

It may have been stuck but its working again so let it work.

You raised the temp and roused the yeast and it worked!

Give it a week, rouse it again in a day or two and after a week read it with a calibrated hydrometer.

Your right in the zone.... Your yeast should attenuate down to 1.016-1.019 --70-75%. Give it another week to clean up after itself

The instructions say it should get to 1.010-1.012. I'll leave it for another week and see what I get. Thanks for the help guys

Latest posts

Back