stuck fermentation, mash temp was off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isseldor

Reaction score
Ok so first off, my mash temp got a little high, around 165. I had wrapped my kettle in reflective foil and then stick it in the oven. The oven was off but I had warmed it to first. strike water was right and initially temp was at 153, but then started to rise while in the oven. Stirred it at 30 min, and it was 165, took the reflective foil off and waited another 15 min. Still at 165, took it out of the oven and set it on the stove top to finish out the mash. So overall it was probably at 165 for around 30-45 min.

Boil was fine, chilled to 68 and pitched my yeast. Original gravity was 1.052. Fermentation started, I checked after 1 week and gravity was 1.04. Ok so it's not finished, let it sit another week same gravity. I'm on week 3 and it's the same gravity. So it's stuck, I gently stir up it to wake them up and raise the temp to 71. Another week and it's the same gravity.

So, I assume that since I mashed too high, I don't have enough fermentable sugars. So my question, even if I add more yeast are there enough fermentable sugars to get it to the final gravity?

If I leave it as is and bottle, I'm going to get a super sweet beer right?

what are my options? besides the beano.

Here is the recipe.
73.7% 2 Row Pilsner Malt (6 EBC = 3 SRM) 2268 grams = 5 pounds
26.3% Wheat Malt (150 EBC = 76.1 SRM) 810 grams = 1.79 pounds

10.8 IBU Hallertau Pellets (7.8%AA) 8.3 grams = 0.294 ounces at 60 mins
3.7 IBU Spalt Pellets (4.4%AA) 10.2 grams = 0.359 ounces at 15 mins
1.5 IBU Spalt Pellets (4.4%AA) 4.1 grams = 0.144 ounces at 15 mins

Fermention: WLP029 German Ale/ Kölsch Yeast

No,your mash temp wasn't a little high, it was MUCH too high. At 165° you pretty much negated both your beta & alpa amylase enzymes thereby reducing your fermentable sugars significantly. Hence, your high FG.
It's beef but vey sweet!

If I'm reading your post correctly you fermented @ 68 w/ Kolsch yeast then raised the ferm temp to 71. That's potentially another problem. The ideal temp for a Kolsch yeast is around 58-62. In fact, I'm brewing a Kolsch tomorrow and that will be my target temp. It's ok to raise to around 68 after a week or so.
Have you tasted any of your hydrometer samples?
You could try pitching some S-05 but I'm not sure it will help. If it doesn't you could bottle but you'll get an idea of the taste from your hydro sample and you can judge from that.

It is a personal preference but that seems too sweet to be drinkable. I suggest Alpha Amylase Enzyme.
Check out this post to figure out how much.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=4992817&postcount=1152

AAE is better then Beano as it is controlable based on the amount you put in. I have read that Beano will just break up all sugars and likely leave you with a totally fermentable, dry beer.

^ This. Here's another thread Escape Stuck from Fermentation Mountain

Thanks, I'll try the Alpha Amylase Enzyme.

I pitched it at 68, but I use a swamp cooler method and was able to keep it at 65 degrees for the first 5 days. Then stopped adding ice bottles so it went to 68. When it didn't look like it was going to reach FG, I put in the aquarium heater and raised it to 71.

Thanks for the advice.

I did taste the samples, it was sweet but not awful. The last sample yesterday was very fruity, almost cider like.

Back