stuck fermentation help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carrolte

Reaction score
I brewed this...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f126/extract-english-brown-ale-27601/

my og was 1.048
my current gravity after 14 days @67-70 degrees in the primary is 1.030

and it tastes like fat tire.

yeast is was top cropped from a previously fermenting S-05 and was underpitched. it only formed about a 2 inch krausen.

any suggestions or help is appreciated, can I salvage?

I have a dry yeast packet of S-05.

Thanks

I was running into something similar (although not to this extreme) with my ESB this week. It needed to get down to about 1.012 and stopped at 1.020. I was starting to get anxious cause it was in primary for almost two weeks and should have fermented out. But i did the above and within a couple days had dropped to 1.013 so it's worth a shot. There are a bunch of other threads on here about stuck fermentations as well and different remedies tried. Do a quick search from the tool bar on "stuck fermentation". Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Thanks for the replies. I gave my carboy a spin, I'll let you know in a week. Do you have any ideas about the flavor. Its straight up New Belgium 1554.

OK, so I am still trying to figure out what happened to this brew. It did call for steeping grains which I did in my chlorinated hard water from the tap for 15 min at 170. My wife says it tastes like firecrackers. I think it is licorice rubbery flavor. It is also very cloudy. I did stir some yeast back up and it did get down to 1.018 but I had to free the carboy so I have kegged it and it is on day three of slowly artificially carbonating at 10psi. If I were to guess what was wrong I would say it was under pitched, under aerated, over chlorinated, and possibly over heated during the first 4 hours. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Back