Stuck fermentation? (confirming advice)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattTimBell

Reaction score
Hi all,

So, my father-in-law and I started a batch of an RIS (Yeti Clone, OG ~= 1.105) a couple weeks ago, and the yeast (S-04, at homebrew shows recommendation) appeared to do its work, the phenomena of its fermentation doing exactly what S-04 is reported to do. We had about 24 hours worth of aggressive, explosive fermentation, pitching two packets, one each to 2 1/2 gal in a bucket and 2 1/2 to a glass carboy. Since it "appeared" to be done, and an earlier batch of the same had behaved this way and had FG right on, I combined the two into the carboy, in the process racking the beer of the sediment, including most of the yeast.

Well, I just did a gravity reading, and I'm 10 points over what QBrew said I should be -- 1.038 rather than 1.028. My question: should I be concerned, especially since I've already racked to secondary, and try pitching some champaign yeast? Or should I plead a high gravity beer and call it done, since it is, after all, already about 10%?

The mash temp was about 154, and there was 0.75 lbs each of chocolate malt and black patent, plus 0.625 lbs roasted barley, 17 lbs pale, .5 lbs flaked wheat, 1 lb flaked oats, and about 3/4 c. dark candi syrup fascimile, so I wonder whether, between all those factors, the remaining sugars just aren't fermentable. The flavor right now is really good, actually. Not too sweet to the taste.

Thanks,
Matt

So, if I'm reading this correctly, you racked to secondary shortly after the 24 hours of aggressive fermentation was done? If so, then you racked way too early. However, there should be more than enough yeast still in suspension to take it to FG.

I guess the most important piece of information you could give to us would be the timeline for all of this. Though, if I had to guess, I'd say you just need to give the yeast more time to do their job.

MattTimBell said:
Thanks, Ace. I was unclear. The RIS sat in primary for a week, and now has sat in secondary for 6 days.

Give it more time. The yeast will take care of you.

Latest posts

Back