Stuck Fermentation Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeoffHaines

Reaction score
Gents,

I brewed an IPA a week ago and pitched it with two vials of White Labs, one directly into the wort and one in a starter at high krausen. The wort temp was good (65F) and I aerated the wort sufficiently with CO2. OG: 1.076 (1.075 was target).

I checked the gravity today after the fermentation seemingly died down. It was 1.036 and the beer is sweeter than I'd like.

Problem: I live in Germany and there are no homebrew stores to buy yeast, but I have a packet of dry yeast. I'm thinking about making a starter with that dry yeast and pitching it to salvage this beer.

Anyone have advice before I go this route? Anything is appreciated.

What kind of yeast did you pitch and what dry yeast?

Probably wouldnt bother rehydrating the dry yeast just to pitch it into an already going beer

What kind of yeast did you pitch and what dry yeast?

Probably wouldnt bother rehydrating the dry yeast just to pitch it into an already going beer

I pitched WLP022. The dry yeast I have is Safale US-05. I only considered a starter because the wort/beer is already at 5.2% so I want the yeast to be healthy when they get in there to finish the job.

I would first swirl up the beer some to off-gas and rouse the yeast. What temp is it at? Can you raise the temp a touch?

I have to ask; what are you measuring gravity with? If it is a refractometer, it needs correcting for due to the alcohol. This would show you are around 1.010.

If it is an hydrometer ..... I'm not sure what to say. You should have plenty of yeast, and have not reached alcohol limit for the yeast. i think it is a waste of time pitching more yeast. What temp is the beer at? If cold, the yeast could have stalled, and warming back up should re-start it.

I have to ask; what are you measuring gravity with? If it is a refractometer, it needs correcting for due to the alcohol. This would show you are around 1.010.

If it is an hydrometer ..... I'm not sure what to say. You should have plenty of yeast, and have not reached alcohol limit for the yeast. i think it is a waste of time pitching more yeast. What temp is the beer at? If cold, the yeast could have stalled, and warming back up should re-start it.

Measuring gravity with a hydrometer. The temp of the beer has been consistent at 68-70 since the yeast was originally pitched. I'm not sure what else to do aside from rouse the yeast and/or pitch more.

Personally I'm starting to think this is a yeast quality issue. I have liquid yeast sent from the states and although it doesn't get super warm, it doesn't stay refrigerator cold for the entire week or more it takes to get to me.

I would definitely make a starter from now on if that's how you're getting your yeast

Edit: Sorry, forgot you said that you did make one.

I attempted a blue moon clone twice and it stalled both times. Never could figure out why. Have you had any other beer a that have stalled? You seem to have everything as it should be...

Back