Stuck big blow enclosure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kds1398

Reaction score
I have 2 of these: http://www.homebrewit.com/aisle/p/BB24

After my last set of brews I haven't been able to unscrew the PVC elbow connected to the enclosure. I tried soaking it, running it under hot water, attaching a 18 inch section of PVC to get more leverage. Nothing. I can't get either one to budge even a little bit.

Any suggestions on getting it to unscrew without damaging the enclosure?

soak longer...give it a few days to slowly work its way down into the seal. PBW is much stronger than oxy, so if you have that give it a go. Unless of course this is not stuck because of organic matter, if that's the case than those cleaners won't work.

E-Mursed said:
Maybe a strap wrench if you can get the leverage.

Never heard of one of these. I'll check it out. Holding the enclosure and twisting the crap out it didn't work. It certainly gave me an ugly blister on my palm though.

Bensiff said:
soak longer...give it a few days to slowly work its way down into the seal. PBW is much stronger than oxy, so if you have that give it a go. Unless of course this is not stuck because of organic matter, if that's the case than those cleaners won't work.

It could be dried beer worked into the grooves. Both beers had krausen all the way to the top. Enough that a bit of beer pushed it's way through the threads and dried on the top of the enclosure.

It's currently soaking in hot water. I'll switch to PBW when I get home.

I wonder if I should use Teflon tape next time.

Try chilling it with ice. Get it as cold as you can then try loosening it.

Use a couple of wraps of teflon tape next time but be careful not to over-tighten it. The teflon tape will act as a lubricant and make it easy to over-tighten to the point that you crack the fitting.

The solution that worked: dipping it in boiling water for a few seconds. Came right off.

Latest posts

Back