Stuck barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jheist

Reaction score
Alright guys I think I have a good plan of action for my stuck barleywine but wanted you all to weigh in.

This is by far the biggest beer I have ever made. OG is 1.122!

Used two packs of Notty and some yeast nutrient and it took off! I got tons of blow off and it kept bubbling away for a week solid.

It died down and I checked the gravity about two weeks in the primary and the gravity was 1.030. I figured it would only get into the 1.020's since its a barleywine but I didn't want to be drinking syrup.

This is were I probably messed up. I forgot to add 1.5 lbs of table sugar to the boil anyways so I figured I could add it now and kick back up the yeast into doing work and get those last few points I needed. This did NOT work. I checked the gravity 3 days later and it was at 1.038! I checked again in a week and it is still 1.038

I now have purchased White Labs WLP007 Dry English Ale Yeast and made a 1L starter today.

My plan is to continue to step up the starter until it is gallon sized. My options are to continue to make the starter out of DME every few days or I can take a sanitized spoon and add the actual barleywine to the starter so it gets used to the beer in small amounts. Which one is preferable?

If this doesn't work I'm gonna brew another beer and just pitch onto that yeast cake but I don't have any good yeast cakes right now.

Thanks for the help!

Honestly, it's probably done. 2 packets of Notty is probably not enough for a ~1.133 beer, and you're already looking at about 71% apparent attenuation. Pitching more yeast might dry it out, but don't be shocked if it doesn't.

Try pitching on that yeast cake to see what that nets you, if nothing then the ABV is probably too high for the yeast to work. I'd make a large starter with Champagne Yeast to drop in there as a last resort.

I had a stuck saison, and what I did was transfer it off the old yeast cake into a new carboy and grabed a Wyeast smack pack and pitched it. Worked like a charm :)

Back