Stuck at 1.020

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No don't pitch warmer. That's a recipe for hot overly estery beer. A short lag time has nothing to do with it. In fact a really quick start to fermentation can cause stuck ferments because the yeast will burn out their nutrients before all the sugar is gone.

Byo in their latest edition said a slow fermentation is longer than 12 hours. This blew my mind

This time safale us 05, pitched at 65* temp 62-65 first three days. Took about 36 hours to get going.

IMHO thats about 24 hours longer lag time than I'd be comfortable with, unless you're trying to coax esters from the yeast. I'd check the date of the dry yeast and how is was stored and whether it was rehydrated in correctly before pitching it. It's never been my experience to get a stuck fermentation because of mash temperatures, in fact I've never had a stuck fermentation using enough healthy yeast.

Km almost positive dry yeast wasnt old. I rehydrated per John Palmers instructions in How To Brew. I still think I didn't aerate enough but could be number of factors. Next brew will have to improve everything including double checking yeast. Thanks

Back