stuck apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deputyandy

Reaction score
Trying my hand at edworts apfelwein recipe. Bought 5 gallons of fresh unpasteurized local cider, added dextrose, leftover enzyme, qnd potassium metabisulphite and put it in a sanitary 5 gallon carboy. Waited 24 hours and pitched one rehydrated pack of montrachet yeast. Didn't shake or aerate. 24 hours after pitching there's no airlock activity. It's been on the cooler side lately(about 70 degrees). Is this a slow start or should I repurchase tomorrow?

I've noticed that a few of my recent batches have been very slow to start, and then even when they get going, they're taking 2-3x as long as they were a few weeks ago. I'm in PA as well.

You may also want to make sure you have an airtight seal. Are there any bubbles or foam?

Assuming the yeast isn't expired and you didn't rehydrate it in HOT water, I'd give it some more time and see what happens.

The airlock is tight. I'm concerned about the metabisulphite. The directions said 1/4 teaspoon per six gallons to kill wild yeast. I followed that for five gallons and waited 24 hrs before adding my red star yeast. That doesn't seem abnormal compared to what I've read on here and other places when using unpasteurized juice. Still no bubbles or foam today. I'm going to pick up another pack of yeast to pitch.

Back