Stubborn Krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3Card

Reaction score
So not sure whether to do anything different than usual with this batch.... I brewed a batch of Northern Brewer's Nut Brown Ale, AG about 12 days ago now. First AG batch, hit the gravities almost dead on, everything was going great! Much more enjoyable than my prior extract brewing, which produced good beers, just wanted to try out the "from scratch" version of brewing. Anyway, six hours after yeast pitch at 68F, airlock was bubbling like a machine gun. By night, the fermenter, sitting in a 68F room, was 73F inside. To avoid letting it ferment too warm, I put it into a section of the basement that stayed just a little cooler. By morning, I checked the temp before work, and found the "fermentation chamber" to be at 59F, and no bubbling at all present. I wasn't concerned, but moved the fermenter back into the 68F room, where I let it sit for ten days. No bubbles, but I'm not really an airlock voyeur, so I didn't think much of it. After ten days, I opened to take a gravity sample, and found 3 full inches of creamy krausen covering the entire fermenter surface. I thought maybe I shocked the yeast and didn't let them finish the first day, so I moved the fermenter to a warmer (78F) room for two days. Today I opened it, and found the same thick krausen still on top of the beer. Smelled, of course, very yeasty. No sour smell or anything unusual about the krausen except for it not being supposed to be there. I took a sanitized spoon, scraped the krausen away, and took a gravity reading - 1.012. OG was 1.044 with an average yeast attenuation of 74%, so I assume the beer is fine and is complete. Just wondering what made the yeast never fall. I've had some persistent islands before, but this baby was a full-on krausen that just won't go away. Should I give it more time (for what gain?), rack to secondary to clean up, or just siphon out from under the krausen into a keg??? Has anyone seen that before? It was Wyeast 1945 NB btw. Thanks for any input..... BTW, I'm NOT dumping the beer.....:)

Subscribed... The same thing is happening with my IPA.

BTW "air lock voyeur" made me guffaw

Sounds like it's not quite done yet to me. Mine did that at 1.016. I let it sit till it got down to 1.012 for 2 days. No krausen to speak of,& it cleared to a slight haze.

I have had this happen as well. I think it will fall in due time. If it is a thick krausen then it will take a while. For whatever reason the krausen slowly sheds little bits of yeast from the bottom almost like snow falling. If I am feeling impatient I will gently agitate the fermenter to encourage the yeast to take a dive.

the krausen hung around for over 2 weeks with my last batch. just let it sit for another week and it should fall. no need to rush it

"I opened to take a gravity sample, and found 3 full inches of creamy krausen covering the entire fermenter surface."

"3Card", I am currently fermenting this same kit, and am experiencing the same krausen that doesn't seem to fall. My temp has been a steady 65-70 degrees, so I don't think it is temp related. I'm not in a rush with this batch so I will just let it sit for awhile & see what happens. I am wondering what ever came of yours?

I had a batch that was AG and even after a month the krausen never went away. It had the proper FG and cleared.
I wound up racking it off from under the krausen, the beer was good.

Back