Stubborn film in carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burrito

Reaction score
So i have a carboy that i didnt clean properly after a batch and it sat for about a year and a half like that. Now im trying to get it clean so i can use it again but im having a hard time getting rid of the brownish film near the top. I've soaked in oxyclean and hot water (for couple hours), twice and shook the heck out of it. Still there. I'm not able to get a brush to that spot.

The rest of the glass looks sparkling clean its just the one area. Any other suggestions?

1398825713564.jpg

I use a bent bottle brush to get at stubborn spots in the area of the shoulder if the carboy brush doesn't get it.

Fill your carboy one-third full with warm water and some oxyclean. Invert the carboy and let it sit overnight. The crud will be loose by morning.

When you are using glass carboys always protect them from getting bumped into hard surfaces. I use a rubber shower/tub mat at the corner of the sink when I do this. Another mat in the sink will keep the carboy from sliding.

If all else fails, this glass cleaning recipe is a sovereign remedy. It WILL clean off whatever is on the glass. I have used it in the laboratory, and know whereof I speak. Read the following warning /disclaimer before proceeding to download and use the .pdf file below. Hint: If you don't know whether or not to pour acid into water or water into acid, read no further.

<<WARNING / DISCLAIMER >>

If you don't have some experience with hazardous chemicals in a laboratory setting, you shouldn't attempt to make this reagent. You proceed with this at your own risk.

<<WARNING / DISCLAIMER>>

http://library.med.utah.edu/WebPath/HISTHTML/MANUALS/ACIDGLAS.PDF

Uh... Thanks for the suggestion, but Im not a scientist and I don't have a laboratory and warnings in all caps scare me. &#128562;

Back