Strawberry Wine gone sort-bad, any use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crisis

Reaction score
A bit over a year ago my wife and I attempted a strawberry wine out of the book Wild Wines and Meads.

It's been sitting in the carboy ever since, because it frankly just doesn't taste too good. There is nothing really wrong with it as far as contamination etc, it just tastes like high alcohol (18%+?) strawberry hooch..

We tried adding some strawberry concentrate to see if it would sweeten it up a bit, but it didn't help much.

Anyone have any ideas one something to do with this stuff? Maybe a way to blend it with something else?

I suppose another option would be to try adding a lot more strawberry concentrate as well as water to dilute it?

I'm open to ideas, thanks!

You seem pretty patient...make a batch of sweet mead....Mix until you get the right flavor for you...then let it age another year. I'd bottle some just the way it is, you would sure hate to keep 1 bottle and 5 years from now it's some sort of orgasmic super wine that you only have 1 bottle of.

High alcohol strawberry wine will taste like jet fuel for about 2-3 years. But, after that, it'll be the best wine you'll ever have!

I'd sulfite it with one campden tablet per gallon, and then bottle it. And wait. If you add strawberry concentrate, you might keep boosting the alcohol until the yeast poops out (although it could be about maxed out by now). One thing to try is to pull out a sample and try sweetening it a bit with some sugar or honey and see if it's improved. If it is, you may want to consider stabilizing and sweetening the whole batch.

Back