Strawberry Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaxsan

Reaction score
I am looking to get some suggestions on the water profile for a Strawberry Kolsch. I think a standard Kolsch would have a water profile from Cologne Germany.

Ca = 104.0
Mg = 15.0
Na = 52.0
SO4 = 86.0
Cl = 109.0
HCO3 = 152.0

or

Ca = 84.8ppm
Mg = 3.8ppm
Na = 62.1ppm
SO4 = 98.7.3ppm
Cl = 104.3ppm
Bicarb =142.4ppm

These are both close. I am really going crazy with the strawberries in this beer. Should I make some adjustment in the water because of the amount of strawberries, and if so what/how much? Thanks!

Recipe: Strawberry Kolsch
Style: Kölsch
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.22 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.72 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.86 gal
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 4.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 30.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 71.5 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
7 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 63.6 %
3 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 27.3 %
1 lbs Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 3 9.1 %
1.00 oz Brewer's Gold [8.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 30.1 IBUs
1.0 pkg German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029) [ Yeast 5 -
11.00 lb Strawberries (Secondary 14.0 days) Flavor 6 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 11 lbs
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 14.75 qt of water at 158.3 F 148.0 F 75 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (1.37gal, 3.73gal) of 168.0 F water
Notes:

As has been pointed out many times, just because that is the water source that doesn't mean that is what the brewers use now days since water treatment is available. It doesn't mean the water they use is the best possible for a beer to YOUR taste. That's why we keep coming back to the water primer over and over. Understand the minimal approach and build out from there if you find the need.

If it's a strawberry Kölsch it isn't a Kölsch so all bets are off and the water can be anything you want it to be.

Given the nature of Kölsch in general you can be sure the brewers of this beer have done something to reduce the alkalinity. Depending on how you hop it you would want to get rid of all of or most of the sulfate. I've had the best luck with this beer when the water contains a fair amount of calcium chloride and nothing else. I tried taking the calcium chloride way down in one batch and the resulting beer was insipid so I think perhaps the chloride levels as high as in the OP could be OK though for most beers I would be skeptical of chloride that high. As in everything else I'd say start low and work up until additional chloride no longer improves the beer.

Back