Strawberry Hibiscus Cider!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sessionz

Reaction score
Just finishing up a new batch of strawberry hibiscus cider. I used my standard base cider of 5gal costco juice, US-05, acid blend, and yeast nutrient.

Fermented for 3 weeks, then racked onto a mix of 32oz strawberry puree (from perfect purees) and hibiscus tea made from 2 cups fresh hibiscus leaves. Just did a taste test and it is quite delicious! I'll report back once carbed!

Seems like a great refreshing summer cider mix!

Attachments

• IMG_6388.jpg
    IMG_6388.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 78
Does the purée add haziness? Does it settle out? How long did you or plan to let it sit?

No, it all seemed to drop after about 2 weeks. It is all nicely settled at the bottom of the carboy. I just need to be careful when racking off because the sediment can get stirred up easily.

I may use a different secondary vessel with a wider mouth next time and throw the purée into a mesh bag to make racking off the fruit easier.

It has been sitting in the secondary with the fruit for 20 days and I can see through the finished cider!

I am new to this wine and cider world of brewing and loving it. I was looking for a raspberry hibiscus hard cider recipe. Your strawberry hibiscus is sounding close. Would you be willing to share your recipe?

Start with a good basic cider the rest of his info is there. Just swap your raspberries for the strawberries. There are a ton of threads on basic cider.

Hey there giddyup, I added 2tsp pectic enzyme and 2 tsp fermaid-o yeast nutrient along with juice and safale is-05 yeast. Ferment it first for 3-4 weeks, then rack into a secondary container with your fruit for another 3-4 weeks. I would recommend cutting back to 1 cup hibiscus for your tea. Mine came out a bit more tart and tannic than I would like (and I like tart!).

Back